Why old people can't hear in a crowded room: Researchers reveal ageing brains struggle to process multiple sounds
The inability to hold a conversation because of the background noise is seen by many as the first sign their hearing is starting to go.
But scientists have found older people find it harder to follow these conversations not because they can’t hear, but simply because their brain needs longer to process the information.
As we get older, our brain signals change, according to a study published today in the Journal of Neurophysiology.
WHAT THE STUDY FOUND According to the new study, hearing troubles in older people may stem from the brain, not the ears.
This occurs because their brain needs... read more
- 12:56 Jamie McDonnell vs Naoya Inoue UK fight time, TV channel, undercard...
- 12:56 Unai Emery’s top five transfers highlight the type of player he’ll...
- 12:56 YP Letters: Too much hot air but never enough power
- 12:56 Fund for acid victim's father tops £34,000
- 12:55 New Mayor bids to make town known
- 12:55 ‘It’s building a small town in Scarborough’
- 12:54 Brexit: minister David Gauke plays down £20bn customs forecast
- 12:54 Nottingham has lowest household disposable income in UK
- 12:53 Inside the cab of a Crossrail train: Fascinating clip shows a...
- 12:51 Quiz: Who said it - Donald Trump or Elon Musk?
- 12:51 How police spot a drink driver - even before they’ve stopped your car
- 12:50 Advice as trains from Banbury may be busy over bank holiday weekend
- 12:50 Salford fire trial: Two men guilty of murder
- 12:49 New Mayor bids to make town known
- 12:49 Bank holiday scorcher predicted for Yorkshire
- 12:48 YP Letters: Ageing population grew up in real austerity
- 12:48 The Thing Is with Steve Canavan
- 12:48 Blackpool Transport announces 10p fare increase
- 12:46 How police spot a drink driver - even before they’ve stopped your car
- 12:46 Holiday park in Melton expands with £1 million investment
- 12:45 Vital work of Lancaster hospice featured on television
- 12:45 Spore heroes: unlocking the life-cycle secrets of the earliest land...
- 12:45 Russian pranksters discuss Putin and Skripal in call with Boris...
- 12:44 Bank holiday scorcher predicted for Yorkshire
- 12:43 Manchester United close in on €50m Fred but balk at...
- 12:43 Sheffield warehouse in line for major revival with flats, shops,...
- 12:43 Car torched in arson attack close to Sheffield murder scene
- 12:42 Bank holiday scorcher predicted for Yorkshire
- 12:41 Work on £1.5m transformation of derelict Carlisle pub underway
- 12:41 Sites block EU users before GDPR takes effect