Why long-term investing works: How putting £10K into the stock market would have earned you £90K more than cash savings over three decades
While the stock market goes up and down, when it comes to investing it seems that it's worth playing the long game.
Next month marks 30 years since the 'Big Bang' deregulation of the stock market, which helped open up investing to the masses.
Since then there have been several significant market crashes, including Black Monday and the global financial crisis of 2008.
These major events are often cited as a reason why many people consider investing to be too risky for them. But, despite the volatility, putting your nest egg in the stock market would have proved far more lucrative than a... read more
- 11:07 Mum who vomits up to 15 times an hour says rare illness has ruined...
- 11:06 Great entertainers: Which clubs have won the most Premier League...
- 11:06 Police release CCTV images after man attacked boy, 14, at bus stop
- 11:06 The best Easter egg in Britain is apparently a £15 one from Tesco
- 11:05 Chelsea will learn if they’ve landed Sead Kolasinac ‘soon’ says agent
- 11:04 Kodi: What's legal and what isn't
- 11:04 Hate crime victims urged to contact South Yorkshire Police
- 11:02 Hundreds of jobs up for grabs at major Derby jobs fair at The Spot...
- 11:02 Covestro parent Bayer non-committal on any sale to industry peer
- 11:02 How to make a pothole claim: RAC advice for Burton and South...
- 11:01 Fuelled by Olympic momentum, young Hungarian group aims for parliament
- 11:01 Stroll With Stu: New species of giant moorland bird found in valley...
- 11:01 Sevilla star Adil Rami opens up on his tough upbringing and how he...
- 11:01 You could live in a cottage just four miles from Nottingham city...
- 11:00 Star Wars Han Solo movie: Release date, cast, title and more
- 11:00 Man United target speaks out: I will sign for this club
- 11:00 Early morning wake-up call for nuisance neighbours
- 11:00 Metro Bank on track to make its first ever annual profit as losses...
- 11:00 Southampton ace makes admission about Manchester United star Zlatan...
- 10:59 Damage to vehicles in Spalding
- 10:58 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 10:58 Man left with significant facial injuries after crash
- 10:57 Did you see escape car used in Shaun Walmsley jailbreak at...
- 10:57 New kit partner for Warwickshire CCC
- 10:57 Flying the flag for LGBT History month
- 10:57 Sex in films vs sex IRL: How do they really compare?
- 10:56 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 10:56 Italy sees deal with EU over Monte dei Paschi 'in a few weeks'
- 10:56 £20k Morrisons funding gives boost to Lancaster hospice
- 10:56 College hosts African couture fashion show