Why listening to music could make you deaf: Audiologist explains the damage headphones cause to your inner ear and the volume level that's safe
People are ignoring advice and permanently damaging their hearing while listening to loud music on headphones, an audiologist has warned.
William Shapiro, clinical associate professor at New York University Langone, says that young people in particular are at risk.
He says that one in five teenagers have some form of hearing loss due to noise exposure.
In a video produced by Business Insider, the expert explained why this happens.
If hair cells are damaged in any way, we suffer permanent hearing loss or balance degeneration.
In each ear, the inner ear structure called the cochlea – which... read more
- 12:55 REVIEW: A doughlicious meal at Warwick’s Dough and Brew
- 12:55 KGH shortlisted for two national awards
- 12:54 Extended Metro services for the Great Exhibtion of the North
- 12:53 Witness appeal launched after Lancaster collision
- 12:52 Man rushed to hospital with serious head injury after assault...
- 12:52 Ornate observatory commissioned by King George III hits the rental...
- 12:52 YP Letters: I voted to remain, but EU’s attitude has changed my mind
- 12:52 YP Letters: SNP’s lack of respect for Parliament
- 12:51 England legend Alan Shearer gives Harry Kane ONE tip after Tunisia...
- 12:51 FIRE UPDATE: Abington Street fire currently treated as 'unexplained'
- 12:50 Why is Donald Trump threatening more tariffs – and what next?
- 12:49 Co-founder of Chorley Women’s Centre Betty Swancott left great legacy
- 12:49 New pictures reveal designs for Botany Bay canal mill
- 12:49 Restaurant races up award ladder arriving at number six in the country
- 12:49 Extended Metro services for the Great Exhibtion of the North
- 12:49 Shares in retirement housebuilder McCarthy & Stone slide after it...
- 12:48 YP Letters: Tour can celebrate all corners of Yorkshire
- 12:48 Coronation Street and Emmerdale fans fuming as soaps cancelled for...
- 12:48 Emmerdale star jokes he 'still has a job' after revealing Amelia...
- 12:48 Leave voters want Brexit even if it breaks up UK
- 12:47 REVIEW: A doughlicious meal at Warwick’s Dough and Brew
- 12:47 Titanic postcard with haunting message written by maid goes up for...
- 12:47 Historic 7ft claymore sword stolen from tiny Scottish island
- 12:47 Top referee Bobby Madden given extra time by court to avoid...
- 12:46 Extended Metro services for the Great Exhibtion of the North
- 12:46 Ineos loses fracking 'ban' challenge
- 12:46 Barnier: UK will lose access to EU security databases after Brexit
- 12:45 Clitheroe school kids clean-up crusade
- 12:44 Pure Gym boss calls for VAT-free memberships
- 12:44 West Brom readying bid in shock summer transfer - reports