Why is Russia so desperate to win Eurovision?
Russia is the bookies' favourite to win this year's Eurovision song contest, and one reason for this is that it has spared no expense to produce an expertly staged performance. Winning Eurovision seems to have become a national priority, but why?
Seven years ago, Swedish television executive Svante Stockselius was in Moscow, watching rehearsals for the Eurovision finals. It was the first and only time the contest had been held in Moscow, after Dima Bilan's victory with Believe at the 2008 contest in Belgrade.
"All of a sudden, the Russians they went crazy, and they said Mr Putin, our... read more
- 15:43 Last days of Preston's former indoor market caught on camera
- 15:42 Doncaster Apprentice star returns to TV to tell of store's success...
- 15:42 A guide to nudist beaches in North Wales
- 15:40 Land Rovers put through their paces on muddy Grantham course
- 15:40 Papa John’s is selling a ‘cheeseburger pizza’
- 15:40 Annabel’s new role in BBC drama The Split
- 15:40 Express in New York for a 30th to remember
- 15:40 Students’ hopes to topple Yorkshire’s highest peaks
- 15:40 Pit banner parade to return after 30 years
- 15:40 Housebuilder gives baby unit a £1k donation
- 15:39 London Marathon's long love of fancy dress
- 15:39 Flood issues raised after heavy rainfall
- 15:39 Ballot open for action over Wigan hospital staff firm move
- 15:38 Dog festival at Prestwich's Heaton Park in aid of children's hospice
- 15:37 Prince Charles approved as next head of the Commonwealth
- 15:37 Mum who stabbed five-year-old son to death given indefinite...
- 15:37 Housebuilder gives baby unit a £1k donation
- 15:35 Motorbike rider in 'serious but stable' condition after A171 crash
- 15:35 Wells Fargo to pay $1bn in largest fine levied against a bank under...
- 15:35 Crafty pupils stub out cigarette litter
- 15:34 Pit banner parade to return after 30 years
- 15:34 Is it legal to smoke weed on 420?
- 15:33 Have you seen this missing Kettering man?
- 15:33 Vandals burn sundial with BBQ coals and smash bottles at Markfield...
- 15:33 Number of house fires in Northamptonshire drops
- 15:33 Sporting great Frank Bruno MBE special guest at Staverton fundraiser
- 15:30 Snow set to replace sizzling spring heatwave next week
- 15:29 Roadworks on the A1031 and A16 next week
- 15:29 Historic Burnley building to be transformed through ambitious project
- 15:28 Salisbury asks Banksy to brighten barriers at contaminated sites