Why HUNGER is more motivating than thirst, anxiety or fear: Lab mice would put their lives in danger for food
Hunger is more powerful than thirst, fear or anxiety, new research suggests.
Scientists at the National Institutes of Health found lab mice would be willing to put themselves in danger or cut themselves off socially if it meant they could eat.
The mice also picked food over water in every scenario.
The findings have been hailed as a crucial step towards our understanding of eating disorders and how to control food cravings as America faces a burgeoning obesity epidemic.
It is the first research that pits different cravings against each other, looking at how hunger affects us in a more... read more
- 04:08 Wenger debate isn’t affecting Arsenal... but board must answer...
- 03:52 Malaysia murder mystery breaks with North Korean assassin tradition
- 03:52 Malaysia says VX nerve agent was used in murder of Kim Jong Nam
- 03:52 Trump repeats call for US nuclear supremacy
- 03:50 Funding cuts to black police group a bid to silence critics - officers
- 03:42 Historic moment for Copeland as Conservative Trudy Harrison wins...
- 03:42 Guatemala army blocks Dutch boat offering abortions
- 03:31 University staff targeted with bogus pay rise scams
- 03:31 Samsung Electronics to strengthen controls for donations amid...
- 03:26 ‘A blatant racket’: Gangsta Granny stage company pulls shows at...
- 03:15 'Are we good? Yeah, we're good!': Tom Daley, 22, continues to put...
- 03:15 'She was very keen to get to know him': Ashley Roberts, 35, 'cosied...
- 03:15 'I wouldn't have been a good mom': Oprah Winfrey says she doesn't...
- 03:13 Conor McGregor is on his way out of the UFC - Tony Ferguson
- 03:12 High Tides - February 25 to March 4
- 03:11 University staff targeted with bogus pay rise scams
- 02:50 Japanese stocks pare losses, heads for modest weekly gains
- 02:49 Leila De Lima: Top Duterte critic arrested on drug charge
- 02:49 Trump adviser hails 'new political order'
- 02:49 Olathe shooting: Murder charge after Indian man killed in bar
- 02:47 Toxic nerve agent VX was used to murder North Korean leader's half...
- 02:32 Samsung Electronics to strengthen controls for donations amid...
- 02:32 ‘A blatant racket’: Gangsta Granny stage company pulls shows at...
- 02:14 Baidu's quarterly revenue falls 2.6 percent
- 02:14 Alphabet's self-driving car unit sues Uber with trade theft charge
- 02:07 EFL Q&A: Joby McAnuff on winning promotion, watching John Barnes...
- 02:07 Cody Gribble and Wesley Bryan take lead at Honda Classic in Palm...
- 01:45 Emmerdale fans set up social media campaign to free Aaron Dingle...
- 01:41 Magnitude 5.7 quake strikes Lake Tanganyika area - USGS
- 01:35 #FlyDSA: “My house to Paris in just three hours - I was amazed!”