Why humans fall in love: Scientists say the emotion evolved to allow our ancestors to have more children and prevent infanticide
Falling in love is one of life's great mysteries, but now scientists believe this strange feeling could be key to our evolutionary success.
For the first time researchers have found evidence 'selection promoted love in human evolution' as it increased the chances of us having families.
Scientists studied the Hadza people of Tanzania, who don't use modern contraception, and found passionate partnerships were associated with having more children.
It follows previous research that found love may have evolved to stop male primates from killing their infants.
Scroll down for video
LOVE STOPS... read more
- 10:20 Can't stop taking pictures of yourself? Then you might have 'selfitis'
- 10:20 Arsonists strike three times across South Yorkshire
- 10:20 Bradford police seeking man after woman seriously injured in crash
- 10:19 Bradford police seeking man after woman seriously injured in crash
- 10:19 Changes to bin collections over Christmas
- 10:19 Chesterfield chippy launches Christmas dinner menu - including deep...
- 10:19 When Victoria Street was focal point of city's shopping experience
- 10:18 Sky and BT strike deal which Leicester City fans will celebrate
- 10:18 M62 lane closure near Brighouse after vehicle overturns
- 10:17 Can't stop taking pictures of yourself? Then you might have 'selfitis'
- 10:17 Wladimir Klitschko: Anthony Joshua can unify the heavyweight division
- 10:17 HOLBEACH PARISH COUNCIL: New grants policy is adopted
- 10:17 Aljaz Bedene informs the ITF he is turning his back on Britain to...
- 10:16 Shkodran Mustafi back in training but Aaron Ramsey could be out...
- 10:16 Police boss says Force will put communities ahead of cost with £30m...
- 10:16 How we must all meet the challenge of tackling loneliness
- 10:15 Cumbria County council issue plea to find selfless carers for new...
- 10:14 Australia captain Steven Smith closes in on century as England post...
- 10:14 Celtic must get rid of European 'nerves' if they have any chance of...
- 10:14 Firm’s technical five star Blackpool hotel challenge
- 10:14 East Kilbride Road Club celebrate their best-ever season
- 10:14 Mansfield and district crime report
- 10:13 Playground and basketball court to be created on village green
- 10:12 Premier League preview: Can Man City be stopped?
- 10:12 RUMOUR MILL: Manchester United linked with Chelsea’s Willian ahead...
- 10:12 Playground and basketball court to be created on village green
- 10:12 M62 lane closure near Brighouse after vehicle overturns
- 10:12 How commercial activity is having a social impact
- 10:11 'I love a wedding. Just don’t make ME have one!' Kylie Minogue...
- 10:11 'Isn't this a family programme?' Louise Redknapp is criticised for...