Why has Rafael Nadal withdrawn from Mexican Open in Acapulco? Reason explained
The world No 2 was due to face fellow Spaniard Lopez on Wednesday but felt a sharp pain during his final training session on Tuesday.
That pain was in the same leg injury that forced him out of the Australian Open last month and, following discussions with his medical team, decided to withdraw.
Nadal said: ”Doctors have told me that it is impossible to play, regardless of whether it hurts.
"There is a significant risk of increasing the injury and I have no choice.
"I was well prepared to play and I had hopes of doing something important here.
"I had done all the right steps... read more
- 13:50 Flood warning ahead of high tide
- 13:50 Steve Hansen adamant he 'won't be coaching England' if he ever...
- 13:50 Everton striker Cenk Tosun heaps praise on Duncan Ferguson after...
- 13:50 Roads are open but conditions are still hazardous
- 13:49 Young girl critically injured following south Cumbria crash
- 13:47 We’re all going to need a giant unicorn sprinkler come summer*
- 13:47 What is catfishing and how can you spot it?
- 13:42 WEEKEND WEB: Uncovering history from the depths of the sea
- 13:42 Trump accuses Andrew McCabe of producing 'fake memos' of meetings
- 13:40 Roads are open but roads are still hazardous
- 13:39 Lady Dean of Thornton-le-Fylde obituary
- 13:36 First woman appointed in role at RAF Wittering
- 13:36 Roger Federer: Fitness concern revealed for Swiss legend ahead of...
- 13:35 Council slammed for ‘victim-blaming’ poster which suggests women...
- 13:35 Couple who claimed food poisoning at holiday resort caught out by...
- 13:32 Sunderland 0-2 Preston North End: Five things we learned
- 13:32 Pub bombings campaigner to speak at huge football supporter demo in...
- 13:31 SNOW UPDATE: Bus services still disrupted in Doncaster
- 13:30 Nintendo Switch games shock as new Pokemon news is revealed
- 13:30 Fortnite update: Jet pack release date could bring THIS big change...
- 13:30 Pensioners who wanted to pimp their zimmer frames had their wishes...
- 13:28 'Homer Simpson' pulled over by police in Milton Keynes
- 13:27 Jessie Wallace speaks of nerves ahead of return to EastEnders
- 13:26 Good news for little Kian Musgrove as scans reveal that his cancer...
- 13:25 Salisbury attack: How much of the UK's gas comes from Russia?
- 13:25 Barcelona news LIVE updates: Team vs Athletic Bilbao; Luis Suarez &...
- 13:24 Gritting and road repair crews doubled
- 13:24 Ceremony held to mark rebuilding of signal box in Deeping St James
- 13:23 Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis's secret rule will save you...
- 13:22 Wigan vs Southampton LIVE: FA Cup sixth round updates as Latics...