Why eating healthily really could save your life: Diets low in fat and sugar are 'just as effective as statins in reducing the risk of heart attacks'
A healthy diet is just as effective as statins in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, scientists found.
The daily pills - which cost less than 6p a day - offer the same amount of protection as a diet low in salt, fat and sugar, a study claims.
Both lower the levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) in the blood which helps to prevent strokes, heart attacks and heart disease.
But despite the findings, statins should still be issued as the number one therapy, experts say.
Researchers from Harvard University reviewed 49 previous trials which had more than 312,000... read more
- 18:15 U.S. stocks pare gains after Trump's inaugural speech
- 18:14 Saido Berahino's West Bromwich Albion timeline nears completion
- 18:14 Businessman Zahid Khan quizzed in car number plate fraud investigation
- 18:14 Buyout approach lodged for Uttoxeter company Fox's Biscuits
- 18:14 Care home hits out at councils who provide 15-minute home care...
- 18:13 Chinese club plot move for Leeds star after missing out on Chelsea...
- 18:13 Confirmed: Steven Gerrard seals return to Liverpool - this is what...
- 18:13 Beverley man Mark Weaver guilty of 'wilful obstruction' in Black...
- 18:13 BREAKING: Ultrafast broadband boost for 4,500 Louth homes and business
- 18:13 Family of missing Molly Davidson search London for signs of her
- 18:11 Hillary's HUMILIATION: Clinton stony-faced as Trump rises and...
- 18:11 Xbox One Scorpio NEWS: Project Scorpio price could be a PROBLEM
- 18:10 Huge Liverpool news: Steven Gerrard confirms return to Anfield
- 18:10 'Baby shake' death trial: Jury retires to consider verdic
- 18:10 Lanes closed after three-vehicle collision on M42 near Tamworth and...
- 18:09 COURT REGISTER
- 18:08 More 'spotters' at Huddersfield Town games to reduce policing bill
- 18:08 'Road rage' victim suffers broken nose and eye socket
- 18:07 Finance ministers seek Treasury clarity on economic plans
- 18:06 Chelsea News: Conte's secret weapon, conspiracy theory, transfer...
- 18:04 'Please save our jobs' say Dee Valley Water workers as crunch court...
- 18:04 Steven Gerrard returns to Liverpool as Academy coach as club...
- 18:03 Saido Berahino transfer latest: Stoke agree terms with West Brom...
- 18:03 11 lost buildings of Coventry that are gone but not forgotten
- 18:00 Per Mertesacker shows love for Arsenal with response to signing...
- 17:58 Lucky escape for driver after head-on crash in Goole
- 17:58 Quad bike vandals leave trail of destruction on Leeds golf course
- 17:58 A38 at Branston to remain closed for THREE more hours
- 17:57 Girl, 4, killed after months of cruelty by mother and her...
- 17:57 Obama’s inauguration was very different