Why doctors should prescribe WALKING to elderly patients: Study reveals gentle physical activity dramatically improves balance
It's not too late to get moving.
Simple physical activity — mostly walking — helped high-risk seniors stay mobile after disability-inducing ailments even if, at 70 and beyond, they'd long been couch potatoes.
One health policy specialist said the study released on Monday suggests prescribing exercise may be just as important as prescribing medications.
'Once you lose that mobility piece of your life, then you really lose independence,' said Patricia Katz of the University of California, San Francisco, who wasn't part of the new research but said physicians need to put the findings to use.... read more
- 09:21 All lanes re-opened following earlier lane closure on M6 Southbound
- 09:21 Man has part of ear bitten off in attack in Lancaster
- 09:21 Woman's tendons cut as drunk waved knife in horror street row
- 09:20 Ministers snub call for flood defence shake-up
- 09:19 Euro zone economy started year with solid growth - PMI
- 09:19 Pupils arrested for ecstasy possession
- 09:19 Abbey Gate College director of music to retire
- 09:19 Celebration for Chester street pastors
- 09:18 Chelsea legend Pat Nevin warns Antonio Conte over importance of...
- 09:18 WATCH: Dennis Skidmore Macmillan trophy is presented to Suzie's...
- 09:18 Ministers snub call for flood defence shake-up
- 09:17 VIDEO: Police guard Sheffield park
- 09:15 Main Ilkeston road closed after man climbs onto footbridge
- 09:14 Transfer news LIVE: Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool...
- 09:14 Andy Murray left out of GB Davis Cup squad to face Canada but he...
- 09:13 I’m running the London Marathon in three months and I couldn’t be...
- 09:13 Jurgen Klopp holds team meeting lasting SIX times longer than usual...
- 09:13 Donald Cerrone eyeing welterweight title fight after UFC on FOX 23
- 09:13 Aston Villa face transfer misery: Rivals Sheff Wednesday set to...
- 09:13 Hundreds taking to water for hospice
- 09:13 Police appeal after bag theft in Blackpool
- 09:13 Will 'pirate' Kodi users get in trouble? Experts have their say
- 09:13 ‘It could cost lives’ drivers who block fire station are warned
- 09:13 Amir Khan fans defend boxer after 'sex tape' controversy
- 09:13 Pictures: Philippe Coutinho and ex-Southampton star miss Liverpool...
- 09:13 Transfer News: Shock Chelsea bid, Man Utd medical, Liverpool done...
- 09:12 Amir Khan's dad slams shocking claim 'sex tape' was leaked by...
- 09:12 German regulator clears HERE stake purchases by Intel, NavInfo
- 09:12 QUIZ: Can you be perfectly Frank when it comes to Sheffield-bound...
- 09:12 NATO ON THE EDGE: US defence secretary pledges commitment - despite...