Why DO our mouths water? Expert reveals how just smelling food can make you produce more saliva
It's almost impossible to walk past a bakery without enjoying the mix of aromas from all the savoury treats.
Your mouth begins to water and your stomach starts to rumble as you desperately try to get hold of the fresh batch of cookies.
But it's often left people confused as to why their mouth drools when we see and smell tasty snacks.
Gordon Proctor, a professor of salivary biology at King's College London, says smelling food sends our salivary glands into overdrive.
Here, writing for The Hippocratic Post, he reveals exactly why our brain produces more spit at just the whiff of fresh... read more
- 15:09 Lucky escape for M1 driver after metal object comes through windscreen
- 15:09 Why Hillsborough police chief David Duckenfield was charged with 95...
- 15:09 No final Grenfell death toll 'this year'
- 15:09 Delivery Hero on track to raise 1 billion euros with listing
- 15:06 Long Itchington man jailed after sexually assaulting 14-year-old girl
- 15:06 Cash stolen after ram raid at Wellesbourne premises
- 15:06 Warwick man is using extra leave time to cross off ‘bucket list’...
- 15:06 Manchester United's pursuit of Real Madrid star Alvaro Morata...
- 15:05 David James Kingsbury died from single stab to heart, murder jury...
- 15:05 New boutique club Soiree Lounge to open in Birmingham
- 15:05 Festival party time with Rusty and Steve
- 15:04 Primark is releasing a new Disney range that is sending fans WILD
- 15:03 Euro falls as central bank says Mario Draghi's upbeat economy...
- 15:03 David Wilson murder trial: Accused acted like 'petulant child' on...
- 15:03 Sterling surges to three-week high, FTSE falls on Carney rate hike...
- 15:03 Golden day brings school memories flooding back
- 15:03 North Korea calls for execution of ex-South Korea leader over...
- 15:03 Extra security in place for South Shields summer concerts
- 15:02 India's largest container port disrupted by global cyber attack
- 15:01 Thomas Lemar to Arsenal: How Gunners might look with Monaco ace
- 15:01 $esc.html($content.name)
- 15:01 Hillsborough disaster: Timeline of events as David Duckenfield...
- 15:01 Celtic’s 10 punishments in six years from UEFA proves certain...
- 15:00 Korean nuclear firm to be 'long-term partner' in Moorside power...
- 15:00 More roadworks in store, so here's our guide for getting home tonight
- 15:00 ISIS used spies to root out traitors – wives of Tunisian fighters...
- 15:00 Broadband customers warned of fake BT email that can download...
- 14:59 Feast of food on offer
- 14:59 Sweet success for Doncaster’s chocolate cafe
- 14:58 Sweet success for Doncaster’s chocolate cafe