Why Brum's 200-year-old Trafalgar Day tradition could be scrapped
Birmingham's traditional Trafalgar Day is at risk – because organisers cannot afford the cost of extra security.
The annual commemoration of Nelson’s naval victory has taken place in the city every year for more than 200 years.
But with less than three weeks to go before the event, a number of groups have told organisers they will have to pull out.
The parade and service is due to take place next to Nelson’s historic statue in the Bullring on the morning of Sunday October 23.
But officers from HMS Foward, the ship closely associated with Birmingham, as well as youth groups such as the sea... read more
- 10:14 Grantham’s very own big band is a treat for a packed arts centre
- 10:14 Transfer News: Chelsea's Milan raid, Fabregas to Arsenal shock, Man...
- 10:12 Children’s charity in Skegness calls for support
- 10:11 Police release photo of Mackworth murder victim Geoff Seggie as...
- 10:11 Nostalgia: Donington Rovers edge seven-goal final
- 10:11 Report reveals where in the UK over 50s struggle most to get a GP...
- 10:09 FEATURE: Case studies of exotic pets rescued by Ark Wildlife Park
- 10:09 Donna Nook seal count begins to drop as they make their way back to...
- 10:05 WhatsApp will soon stop working on millions of phones, is yours one...
- 10:05 We're Going on a Bear Hunt will be on Channel 4 this Christmas
- 10:05 Stoke City 2, Burnley 0: Player ratings from tasty win over Clarets
- 10:05 LIVE: A50 Waterloo Road closed in both directions after three...
- 10:05 Eden Hazard reveals the ‘big change’ that Diego Costa has made at...
- 10:04 School playground to be transformed after winning Lottery bid
- 10:03 Update: Horses loose on the A17 at Heckington - owner is found
- 09:59 Missing 'high risk' 13-year-old girl found after helicopter search
- 09:58 Witnesses sought after 'deliberate' Ribchester barn fire
- 09:56 General Tso's Chicken creator dies in Taiwan aged 98
- 09:56 Apple admits self-driving car plans
- 09:54 France's Left starts fightback after Hollande bows out of...
- 09:51 Hull City news and rumours LIVE: Tigers ready for Middlesbrough...
- 09:51 Man awaiting sentence after pinning partner against wall
- 09:48 Female suicide bomber uses children as decoy before blowing herself up
- 09:45 Missing out on West Ham tie in FA Cup was the biggest regret of my...
- 09:44 Hospital theft sparks police probe
- 09:43 Part of Carlisle on lockdown following incident
- 09:43 Manhunt continues in Carlisle following armed police incident
- 09:43 Bedroom fire in west Cumbria
- 09:41 Killer drivers could be jailed for life under new proposals
- 09:40 Stranger attack ‘left man with serious facial injuries’