Why bacteria in the stomach really DO control everything from our eating habits to weight loss and mood
When we can't lose weight, we tend to want to blame something outside of our control.
Could it be related to the microbiota – the bacteria and other organisms – that colonise your gut?
Now, two experts from the University of New South Wales reveal exactly the trillions of microorganisms work.
Here, in a piece for The Conversation, they explain how the bacteria in the gut affect our eating habits and weight.
YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT
Our gut harbours some trillion microorganisms.
These are key in harvesting energy from our food, regulating our immune function, and keeping the lining of our... read more
- 01:51 The Houses of Parliament - a building catastrophe?
- 01:47 Galatasaray 0-0 Fenerbahce: Away players shield linesman from...
- 01:41 Doctor Who: Bradley Walsh confirmed to join Jodie Whittaker with...
- 01:40 Gambling adverts 'in 95% of matches'
- 01:36 US preparing to put NUCLEAR BOMBERS on 24-hour ALERT for first time...
- 01:36 Australia tightens security checks on airport staff
- 01:36 Japan PM Shinzo Abe promises to deal with North Korea threat
- 01:29 Health tourism charges come into force in England
- 01:29 Patients need rest, not antibiotics, say health officials
- 01:17 Spiderboy who drives his mother up the wall: Boy, six, scales...
- 01:17 What's really in your food: Revealed, the marg that's 65% water,...
- 01:17 Banking on support for Hollybank Trust
- 01:16 Martin Keown questions whether Arsenal superstar Mesut Ozil was...
- 01:01 Jose Mourinho has work to do with Manchester United... while Ronald...
- 00:59 Doctor Who: Bradley Walsh among new cast members
- 00:55 Hi-tech firm helps out charity in the garden
- 00:55 Twenty one men arrested in West Yorkshire as part of national...
- 00:55 Cleckheaton trio pay visit to Calais camp
- 00:54 Bed-blocking bill in Tayside and Fife hits £16m a year
- 00:53 Law to set minimum price for alcohol will be introduced in Wales
- 00:52 WORLD WAR 3: Trump military 'totally prepared' for North Korea...
- 00:51 Michael Buffer makes grand entrance, while Jos Verstappen lashes...
- 00:46 Man City coach Pep Guardiola: My team could never emulate Arsene...
- 00:46 Liverpool may miss out on the top four this season admits manager...
- 00:44 Wasps clash 'absolutely critical' for Saints
- 00:42 Max Verstappen blasts F1 stewards as 'killing the sport' after...
- 00:38 Benjamin Moorcroft, 15 from Shrewsbury, missing in London
- 00:35 Charting China's 'great purge' under Xi
- 00:33 YEP says: Time to start talking to end loneliness
- 00:32 Brazil U17s 2-1 Germany U17s: South Americans set up World Cup semi...