Why Arsenal must break the bank to retain Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez
Arsenal have been here before. Star players edging towards the latter stages of their contracts, playing to the cameras by patting the badge, before fluttering their eyelids elsewhere.
For Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie in 2011 and 2012, read Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil in 2016.
Arsenal simply cannot afford for the two totemic figures of this current side to follow suit if they are to break the cycle of perennially being two world class players away from challenging the elite, no matter the cost.
MORE: He's ready: Man Utd star Rashford to start Southgate's first ever England match... read more
- 07:50 Police search for 'slaves' arriving on flights into Doncaster's...
- 07:50 Casualty cut out of crashed car by Lincolnshire rescuers
- 07:49 Man convicted of rape following four-month horror spree
- 07:49 Scottish football paid a pittance for TV rights as Euro league...
- 07:49 RISE AND SHINE: Start the day with our live breakfast feed
- 07:48 Louis Tomlinson forced to wait to find out if he faces charges over...
- 07:48 Fadi Fawaz was not invited to George Michael’s wake – but Kenny...
- 07:48 VIDEO: ‘Passenger screamed’ as forklift truck sliced through side...
- 07:48 Angry resident rung Calderdale leader 20 times in one hour to complain
- 07:47 Aston Villa chief reveals target for next season
- 07:46 Eden Hazard: This is where I want to go
- 07:46 Cyclist in serious condition after collision with double-decker bus
- 07:46 Batley Boys earn impressive away win but miss out on cup semi-final...
- 07:46 Warning to parents after yobs leave smashed glass at children’s...
- 07:45 Delays as accident partly closes A1 near Birtley
- 07:45 Cambodian opposition figure sentenced again
- 07:44 SSE says 2017/18 dividend cover to be at lower end of guidance
- 07:44 Bookmaker William Hill names Ruth Prior as CFO
- 07:44 Tesco target Booker sees sales growth ease
- 07:44 Drug-driver caught by police with cannabis and cocaine traces in...
- 07:44 School praised for being ‘at the heart of the community’ by Ofsted
- 07:44 Motorway sliproad closed at Carlisle following crash
- 07:43 Xiao Long Bao: Foodies fume over 'exploding soup dumplings'
- 07:43 Nintendo’s latest console launch helps Game Digital
- 07:42 Swarkestone Road open, Derby news now, traffic updates for A50, A38...
- 07:42 Miami Open 2017 results: Rafael Nadal sets up Fabio Fognini...
- 07:41 RISE AND SHINE: Start the day with our live breakfast feed
- 07:41 Reese’s is now doing a peanut butter creme egg
- 07:39 Genel deepens annual loss after reserves downgrade
- 07:38 Commuters set to face 18 MONTHS of traffic chaos on M1 from today