Why Alzheimer's in women is being missed: Their better memory of words means early signs of the disease go undetected
They have a reputation for being good listeners.
But women's superior memory for words could be stopping them from being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
Research shows that females do better than males on memory tests – despite have their brains have deteriorated to the same extent.
The find suggests that the female brain has an inbuilt buffer against the early symptoms of Alzheimer's – meaning the disease is not spotted until later in its course.
This means they may be missing out on vital treatment and support.
Scientists at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York gave... read more
- 12:11 Man wakes up to 'disturbing' knife-point robbery
- 12:11 Mourners line street for popular businesswoman Alison Denton - video
- 12:10 POLL: Will Donald Trump's presidency be a good thing for Yorkshire?
- 12:10 Two Telford men arrested as £2,500 of cannabis seized in police raid
- 12:09 Tickets due on sale for Aled Jones concert with Hartlepool Male...
- 12:09 Fylde coat shopping outlet in bumper year claim
- 12:09 Concerns raised following report into treatment of dementia sufferers
- 12:09 Top 10 most complained about adverts of 2016
- 12:09 Woman robbed of mobile phone in Northampton town centre on a...
- 12:09 Fylde coast solicitors aid great walk
- 12:09 Nissan boss confident UK will negotiate Brexit deal to safeguard...
- 12:09 Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino insists superb form is down to...
- 12:08 REVEALED: Hospital visitors hit with £13.3 MILLION in parking fines...
- 12:08 Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois wants Real Madrid summer switch
- 12:08 Teenagers who went missing from school together found safe and well
- 12:08 Woman who tried to fight off robber is punched in face
- 12:08 Top 10 most complained about adverts of 2016
- 12:08 Coopers Tavern 'heritage and tradition' to be preserved says...
- 12:08 Ben Turner: it doesn't matter who Burton Albion get points against
- 12:07 Why if your cat goes missing in Gwynedd or Anglesey you're less...
- 12:07 Historical Institutional Abuse Inquiry: Nuns abused children in...
- 12:07 The A-Z of sexual fetishes – how many can you tick off?
- 12:07 Why not make this vegan macaroni cheese recipe today?
- 12:07 Man is wanted in connection with theft of formula milk
- 12:07 Sol Campbell gives insight into Alexis Sanchez's contract talks...
- 12:07 Council launches scheme to improve visitor accommodation
- 12:07 Leeds clear favourites to beat Aston Villa and Newcastle to Premier...
- 12:07 Top 10 most complained about adverts of 2016
- 12:07 Heritage grants to help High Peak businesses restore frontages
- 12:07 Gin Society Festival is coming to Buxton