Why a lack of sleep makes us depressed . . and what we can do about it
Historically, insomnia has been thought of as secondary to other disorders such as depression.
The idea was that you became depressed – and that your sleep got messed up as a consequence. This might involve difficulty falling asleep, excessive time awake at night or waking up earlier than hoped.
This may make sense to those who have experienced depression and found that thoughts of distressing events such as of a deceased loved one, or previous failures, keep them awake at night. The possibility that depression leads to insomnia is also consistent with research in which I have been involved... read more
- 10:37 Tamworth Changes mental health service set to reopen
- 10:37 Adams left to rue more bad luck at Banbury
- 10:36 QUIZ: Sweeter side of 'have cake and eat it'
- 10:36 Car sales accelerate in November, says trade body
- 10:36 £for£: Campaign gathers steam with £33,000 in the bank
- 10:36 QUIZ: Mark World Ninja Day by checking which keyboard warrior you are
- 10:36 NHS spends more than £1 billion on just 4 common drugs, latest...
- 10:36 Dating app creator reassures users over online safety
- 10:36 Pop sensation Jess Glynne to play Alnwick as summer concert returns
- 10:35 Cannabis plants seized in Lancaster house raid
- 10:35 Drugs raid on Morecambe house
- 10:35 Youngsters enjoy ‘out of this world’ event
- 10:35 Dating app creator reassures users over online safety
- 10:35 Slaven Bilic to hold crisis talks with West Ham board today after...
- 10:34 LETTER: Breast cancer - Life-saving drugs cost just 43p a day
- 10:34 Long delays on M1 after vehicle fire and collision
- 10:33 Scientists say nuts to heart disease
- 10:32 Mitsui buys 20 percent stake in Shell's offshore oil fields in Gulf
- 10:32 Sepp Blatter to learn fate on FIFA ban for 'disloyal payment' to...
- 10:31 Business machines supplier upgrades premises
- 10:31 Jet2holidays launches new package
- 10:31 Dating app creator reassures users over online safety
- 10:31 How new children's hospital at Leicester Royal Infirmary may look
- 10:31 Scientists say nuts to heart disease
- 10:30 Ariel Winter wows in a plunging gown with a racy sheer skirt as she...
- 10:30 Kendall Jenner sizzles in racy sheer lingerie as she shows off...
- 10:31 Shanghai Shenhua claim ‘breakthrough’ in transfer deal for...
- 10:30 'I want it every day': Wayne Bridge reveals he would love to have...
- 10:31 Police called to reports of elderly man walking on M6
- 10:30 Ola Jordan flaunts her washboard abs and sizzling curves in a...