Why a lack of sleep makes us depressed . . and what we can do about it
Historically, insomnia has been thought of as secondary to other disorders such as depression.
The idea was that you became depressed – and that your sleep got messed up as a consequence. This might involve difficulty falling asleep, excessive time awake at night or waking up earlier than hoped.
This may make sense to those who have experienced depression and found that thoughts of distressing events such as of a deceased loved one, or previous failures, keep them awake at night. The possibility that depression leads to insomnia is also consistent with research in which I have been involved... read more
- 07:14 Man shares strange sign of a deadly infection triggered by a trip...
- 07:14 Yulia Skripal ‘briefly wakes up’ as medics fear she and ex-spy...
- 07:14 Double delight for Carlisle children's nursery after flood recovery
- 07:12 Bad lifestyles are to blame for 2,500 cancer cases a week as...
- 07:12 Alexis Sanchez: Man Utd stars dislike ‘sulky’ forward - players...
- 07:12 Chelsea star Alvaro Morata SLAMMED in debut season: I was wrong -...
- 07:11 Premier League fixtures 2017/2018 - these are the fixtures...
- 07:10 India renews Mohammad Shami cricket contract after violence charge
- 07:09 Double delight for Carlisle children's nursery after flood recovery
- 07:07 New Zealand captain Kane Williamson becomes Kiwis' all-time leading...
- 07:07 Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes send message to rivals as champion sets...
- 07:03 40, 000 fake cigarettes and drugs seized as part of Doncaster...
- 07:02 7 of the best gins to drink during spring and the Easter holidays
- 06:58 Spalding nurse and runner: ‘I just had to stop and help him’
- 06:57 Prince Charles claims: lavish spending, obsessed with public...
- 06:57 Gangster’s paradise: how organised crime took over Russia
- 06:57 The end of the auteur?
- 06:57 Sea of dog mess is like ‘50 Shades of Brown’
- 06:57 Bird of prey flying at leisure centre to scare away pigeons
- 06:57 The two teenage Irish Traveller brothers who became sensations in...
- 06:57 Treasure Island was pure gold
- 06:56 Wife’s vow to raise £50k to fund husband’s brain tumour fight abroad
- 06:56 Bag a bargain when Joules sale returns to Corby this weekend
- 06:56 Defibrillator installed in Bidford
- 06:56 APPEAL: Theft from Assembly Rooms market
- 06:56 Roundabout wins in battle to make Kettering junction safer
- 06:56 Spalding nurse and runner: ‘I just had to stop and help him’
- 06:56 Kettering steak house hopes to be a cut above the rest
- 06:56 Wellingborough MP Peter Bone: “I’ve no link with Cambridge Analytica”
- 06:56 40, 000 fake cigarettes and drugs seized as part of Doncaster...