Why a lack of sleep makes us depressed . . and what we can do about it
Historically, insomnia has been thought of as secondary to other disorders such as depression.
The idea was that you became depressed – and that your sleep got messed up as a consequence. This might involve difficulty falling asleep, excessive time awake at night or waking up earlier than hoped.
This may make sense to those who have experienced depression and found that thoughts of distressing events such as of a deceased loved one, or previous failures, keep them awake at night. The possibility that depression leads to insomnia is also consistent with research in which I have been involved... read more
- 01:50 JAPAN'S NIKKEI SHARE AVERAGE RISES TO HIGHEST SINCE DECEMBER 2015
- 01:50 Rush-hour shooting on Kilburn High Road leaves one dead
- 01:42 Two-thirds 'back more police getting Tasers'
- 01:41 Ian Cathro ticks all the right boxes for Rangers counterpart Mark...
- 01:41 EFL Q&A: Lawrie Wilson on his special days at Wembley and Old...
- 01:37 Conor McGregor's character in Game of Thrones REVEALED
- 01:32 Korean president Park Geun-hye faces impeachment vote
- 01:30 Japan doubles Fukushima disaster-related cost to $188 billion
- 01:27 Doctors perform surgery on fetus in the womb at 32 weeks after...
- 01:25 Damien Chazelle on La La Land's 'challenging' opening
- 01:23 Yemen conflict: What Saudis seek to achieve in messy war?
- 01:14 Arsenal fan says ‘overrated’ Mesut Ozil ‘can leave tomorrow’ as...
- 01:10 Chris Eubank Jnr heading back home to the UK after three months in...
- 01:10 Casino stocks fall after report of ATM cash withdrawal limit in Macau
- 01:10 Asian shares flat but on track for weekly gains
- 01:06 Children of 'just managing families left out by grammars'
- 00:58 New blood test could aid spotting early signs of lung cancer
- 00:55 Ultra runner tops 100-mile mark in 24-hour challenge
- 00:55 Self-harm hospital admissions of children show 'frightening rise'
- 00:55 Ajax's Europa League tie at Standard Liege marred by crowd trouble...
- 00:55 Charlie Austin to miss Southampton game against Middlesbrough,...
- 00:53 See inside Apple's spaceship: Leaked images reveal floor-to-ceiling...
- 00:43 Trump picks Andrew Puzder to lead US Department of Labor
- 00:43 Boys three times more likely to have science toys than girls
- 00:41 U.N. urges Myanmar's Suu Kyi to visit country's divided northwest
- 00:37 Cyber threat underestimated despite risks as high as burglary,...
- 00:37 Youth arrested in double murder probe after death of man and teenager
- 00:37 Lung cancer test may show signs of disease up to five years...
- 00:37 Social media helping fuel nation of 'deeply unhappy' children,...
- 00:37 Boris Johnson to visit Middle East after Saudi Arabia 'proxy...