Why a lack of sleep makes us depressed . . and what we can do about it
Historically, insomnia has been thought of as secondary to other disorders such as depression.
The idea was that you became depressed – and that your sleep got messed up as a consequence. This might involve difficulty falling asleep, excessive time awake at night or waking up earlier than hoped.
This may make sense to those who have experienced depression and found that thoughts of distressing events such as of a deceased loved one, or previous failures, keep them awake at night. The possibility that depression leads to insomnia is also consistent with research in which I have been involved... read more
- 18:49 Missing teenager believed to have taken Eurostar to Poland to...
- 18:48 Johanna Konta hits out after latest early French Open exit
- 18:47 Council asks: Does town need a new recreation ground?
- 18:47 Big demand for apartments
- 18:47 View from the Zoo: Valentine joins rest of flock in Lost Kingdom
- 18:44 Michael ‘Venom’ Page urges David Haye to listen to his body and...
- 18:44 Manchester United make opening £96m bid for Lazio star Sergej...
- 18:43 Students win £1.5m pledge from UCL after five-month rent strike
- 18:43 View from the Zoo: Valentine joins rest of flock in Lost Kingdom
- 18:42 Rupert Everett gears up for the next chapter: moving in with his mum
- 18:39 View from the Zoo: Valentine joins rest of flock in Lost Kingdom
- 18:36 Mario Mandzukic to Man Utd: Juventus star wants Premier League move
- 18:29 Two people who died were among 15 hospitalised at Mutiny Festival
- 18:27 Mourinho on red alert with Manchester City not interested in Gareth...
- 18:27 Defending French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko out in the first round
- 18:27 Chris Froome wins Giro d’Italia in Rome to join cycling’s exclusive...
- 18:23 Teenager's leg stuck in cattle grid in Wigan
- 18:23 Mohamed Salah injury update: Liverpool star reveals all on...
- 18:22 Music review Wow-factor from wonderful wizard of Os Mutantes and crew
- 18:20 Police appeal after cyclist is injured in collision with car in...
- 18:13 Chennai spot-fixing allegation is outrageous, say Bayliss and Root
- 18:13 Richard Wood fires Rotherham into Championship with playoff final...
- 18:13 Johanna Konta falls at first hurdle of the French Open yet again
- 18:11 F1 Monaco GP: Daniel Ricciardo holds off Sebastian Vettel to secure...
- 18:04 Pet hotel planned for Wigton
- 18:03 Venus Williams loses in straight sets in first round of French Open
- 17:55 Mohamed Salah confident he will be fit for World Cup after injury...
- 17:50 Alex Sandro to Man Utd: Juventus open talks amid rumours that £44m...
- 17:48 Students to sue LSE over 'mouldy and mice-infested flats'
- 17:48 Student housing tempts wealthy investors