Whitley Bay miracle baby born after 24 weeks starts second year of school
Born weighing less than a bag of sugar, Ewan Leighton battled back from the brink after being given a 50/50 chance of survival.
The “bright as a button” five-year-old is the picture of health as he starts his second year at school – something his proud parents thought they may never see.
Paul and Ashleigh Leighton, of Whitley Bay, couldn’t wait to welcome their first child – an IVF baby – into the world in 2010.
But when Ashleigh, 32, was just 23 weeks into the pregnancy, the pair visited the doctor after she was kept awake all night with horrendous back pain.
The expectant parents were... read more
- 07:36 Chesterfield Royal Hospital's new cancer centre to open this summer
- 07:36 Search for missing helicopter with 5 on board resumes after...
- 07:36 Vote in county elections
- 07:35 Police issue warning over thieves targeting vans
- 07:34 Drivers could face £70 fine for parking on pavements
- 07:34 Takeaway shop on fire
- 07:34 £156m Man Utd striker swoops, major Chelsea dispute, Arsenal...
- 07:33 North Kirklees weekend entertainment listings
- 07:33 Cold callers, self-service checkouts and hand-wash only clothes -...
- 07:32 Toshiba's nuclear woes a hot ticket for bankruptcy financiers
- 07:32 TV, stage and film stars revealed for 2017 Festival No.6 lineup
- 07:32 West Brom news digest: Roy's boys; Foster's goodwill; Jose's...
- 07:32 Aston Villa news digest: Bruce's best player (it's a Blues man);...
- 07:32 Insurer Lloyd's of London confirms new Brussels base
- 07:32 Birmingham City news digest: Fabbrini on leaving; value of St...
- 07:32 Nikkei falls on pause in weak yen trend; chip-equipment makers firm
- 07:31 North Korea ‘could kill 90 per cent of Americans’ US intelligence...
- 07:31 BREAKING: Bomb squad seal off Malmo street over grenade fears
- 07:27 H&M Q1 profit tops forecast, to launch new brand in H2
- 07:27 Man shares multiple engagement photos to prove we don’t pay...
- 07:27 North Carolina 'bathroom' law: Deal reached on repeal
- 07:26 North Kirklees weekend entertainment listings
- 07:26 Cardiff uni study looks at coffee cup fee to cut single use
- 07:25 Live rush hour traffic, travel and news updates for Hull and East...
- 07:25 Tragedy of Dee Eskrett the nursery nurse who fell into drugs and...
- 07:25 Cars damaged in wrecking spree
- 07:24 Live: Drugs raids across Merseyside
- 07:23 PAULA SHERRIFF MP COLUMN: ‘Cuts to education are an appalling...
- 07:22 EU pulls plug on LSE’s merger with Deutsche Borse
- 07:22 Drivers could face £70 fine for parking on pavements