Whiplash plans to 'cut car insurance premiums by £40'
Millions of motorists could see their car insurance premiums reduced as a result of plans to cut compensation for whiplash injuries.
Whiplash claims have risen by 50% over the last decade, costing insurance companies about £1bn a year.
The government said insurers have pledged to pass on the savings, worth about £40 a year.
Following a promise made last year, ministers are looking at scrapping the right to compensation or capping it.
In its consultation, the Ministry of Justice suggests that such payments - which are separate to medical bills or loss of earnings - could be banned.
Or they... read more
- 11:34 National crime expert brings experience to Cumbria police service
- 11:35 Antonio Conte: Chelsea have signed a fantastic striker in...
- 11:34 Barrow fire boss praises his men after four-car inferno
- 11:34 Barrow school thankful for new inclusive sensory room
- 11:34 Barrow man jailed for carrying drugs and lock knife
- 11:34 Debate: Recorded crime figures on the rise
- 11:34 Twinkling Stars is officially world class
- 11:34 Cancer fighting cop's year of fundraising
- 11:32 Blac Chyna seems over Rob Kardashian scandal as she joins Nicki...
- 11:32 Family pays tribute to 'beautiful angel' mum-of-four killed in car...
- 11:32 What are the dangers, effects, and laws when it comes to Molly...
- 11:32 Coventry City matches set to be broadcast online
- 11:31 It's the fight club!
- 11:31 A successful run of sports development
- 11:31 These are the most common travel scams - and here's how to avoid them
- 11:31 Coroner rules concerns over care of elderly woman did not cause death
- 11:31 Police officer crisis as the numbers plummet
- 11:31 Motorist to stand trial
- 11:31 Have you heard about the bird?
- 11:31 It's on the buses for prom night
- 11:30 Dismay as Longtown play park plan is turned down
- 11:30 The Open 2017: Jon Rahm gets two-shot penalty withdrawn after...
- 11:29 CCTV captures 'appalling' cyclist hit-and-run
- 11:28 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho well-placed to land Bayern...
- 11:27 Hundreds of Birmingham Airport passengers left without suitcases...
- 11:27 Asda owner Walmart is biggest company in world by revenues
- 11:27 Booming demand for ice cream helps Unilever overcome another fall...
- 11:26 Darts: Ross Montgomery's wife helps him win title ahead of silver...
- 11:26 Aberdeen's Europa League clash with Apollon Limassol confirmed for...
- 11:24 EastEnders spoilers: Kush Kazemi to face punishment after Louise...