Whether to have a Down’s syndrome baby – it’s not black and white
There’s a scene in BBC2’s A World Without Down’s Syndrome?, which airs tonight, in which Sally Phillips, Bridget Jones’ Diary actor and mother of a son with Down’s, shows a video of a disabled girl competing at a gymnastics competition to a woman who chose to end her own pregnancy. The interaction isn’t designed to guilt the woman who made a different decision – Phillips is an empathetic presenter and describes herself as pro-choice – but it is a snapshot of how the conversation around disability and abortion is routinely set up: one woman’s choice versus another’s.
We see this in articles... read more
- 13:15 Sarahah is the latest app linked to cyber bullying parents need to...
- 13:14 More weather warnings in place for Cumbria with alerts for snow,...
- 13:13 Donald Trump’s physical health to be revealed in detail
- 13:13 Do you want to be on TVs Coach Trip? Apply here
- 13:13 Leicester Royal Infirmary releases statement on A&E stabbing
- 13:12 'There's nothing wrong with it!' - What you're saying about Hull...
- 13:11 Man, 32, charged with robberies in Lancashire
- 13:10 Free advice for couples breaking up
- 13:10 PICTURES: Lego-loving football fan creates Doncaster Rovers'...
- 13:08 Don't fight a sneeze - or it could tear a HOLE in your throat
- 13:08 Slim chance with pop idol
- 13:08 James Davies and Josh Adams named in Wales's Six Nations squad
- 13:08 Alvaro Morata Chelsea struggles uncovered by former star
- 13:07 Met office issue yellow warning of snow and ice for Calderdale
- 13:07 Murder inquiry launched after death of man attacked outside Halifax...
- 13:07 Zip-line owners hid tourist’s body after she died using the ride
- 13:06 Snowmobiler took last breath after being covered by avalanche but...
- 13:06 TV's Coach Trip looking for applicants to be on the show
- 13:06 What you're saying about council plans to pedestrianise Blackett...
- 13:06 What a sight! Fox spotted strolling along Tynemouth Pier
- 13:05 Henrikh Mkhitaryan agent breaks silence over Manchester United...
- 13:05 Police hunting clown-masked robbers who snapped victim's leg
- 13:05 Ex-Manchester United man Anderson reveals his love for 'god of...
- 13:05 More weather warnings in place for Cumbria with alerts for snow,...
- 13:05 Concerns over children's safety after school left without crossing...
- 13:04 Met office issue yellow warning of snow and ice for Calderdale
- 13:03 Changes on the cards for Ripon City Council meetings
- 13:03 Clitheroe man’s promise to his mum
- 13:03 Man, 32, charged with robberies in Lancashire
- 13:03 Uncapped James Davies and Josh Adams named in Warren Gatland's Six...