Where are the non-white blue plaques?
At the same time a blue plaque was unveiled to mark the childhood home of football legend Laurie Cunningham it was revealed that in London, just 4% of the plaques honour black or Asian luminaries. But in such an ethnically diverse city, why are there so few?
According to the Office of National Statistics, London has above-average ethnic minority populations for the UK. These include African (7%), Indian (6.6%), and Caribbean (4.2%).
But there is not a proportional number of plaques and English Heritage has decided to take action.
Gus Casely-Hayford, a curator and cultural historian with... read more
- 09:52 Shoppers warned over Tesco voucher Facebook page tricking thousands...
- 09:52 FTSE stalls, Carpetright and Debenhams put UK consumer in spotlight
- 09:51 POUND LIVE: Pound pauses after DUP deal ahead of Queen's Speech vote
- 09:51 ‘Hole in the wall’ proving cash is still king on 50th birthday
- 09:50 COMMENT: 900m reasons why we must stick with devolution in...
- 09:50 Return in sight for PNE’s Woods after full season out
- 09:50 Resurgent interest in Victoria Quays
- 09:50 England coaches are good enough – Simpson
- 09:50 Manchester United set to complete Ethan Galbraith signing this weekend
- 09:50 Hull given £15m by Heritage Lottery to secure its future in tourism
- 09:49 Charlotte Church reveals she has lost her unborn baby
- 09:49 Future of key buildings in Wellingborough to be discussed by...
- 09:49 Cash and jewellery stolen in Kettering burglary
- 09:48 Man sprayed CS gas into eyes of Cumbrian police officer trying to...
- 09:47 REGIONAL: Police officer jobs announced
- 09:47 Barcelona set deadline for Hector Bellerin signing as they grow...
- 09:43 Yellow weather warning for rain issued
- 09:42 Choking the life out of seabirds, the rubbish littering our...
- 09:42 Who's a big boy? Dog owners share side-by-side snaps of their...
- 09:42 Panoramic FAIL: The amusing, bizarre and downright scary results of...
- 09:42 Interview with Richard Blackledge: Former businessman and Master...
- 09:41 Inspectors praise support for Northamptonshire children with...
- 09:41 Everton want £10m Andre Gray: Burnley eye Britt Assombalonga as...
- 09:41 Everton eye Sheffield United midfielder David Brooks following...
- 09:41 Course on how to deal with stress
- 09:40 Tourism's time to seize opportunity
- 09:40 Boost for brain injury survivors on coast
- 09:40 Stephen Good: Innovation is change that unlocks new value
- 09:40 GLOBAL MARKETS-Stocks, dollar ease ahead of slew of c.bank speeches
- 09:39 Fastest broadband areas in the UK have been revealed