When will Rosyth’s nuclear submarines finally be scrapped?
When the seventh HMS Dreadnought was launched by The Queen at Barrow in 1960, it was a momentous day for the Royal Navy.
The vessel was the UK’s first ever nuclear-powered submarine and represented a great leap forward in the country’s defence capabilities at the height of the Cold War.
But the Dreadnought today is a source of embarrassment rather than pride for the Senior Service. The submarine was decommissioned in 1980 and has been laid up afloat at Rosyth Dockyard ever since. It has now spent double the time tied up in Fife than it did on active service.
Another six decommissioned... read more
- 14:01 Art reviews: Louise Bourgeois | Stephen Sutcliffe | Sara Barker
- 14:00 Donations needed to go under the gavel at charity auction
- 14:00 Alert over Paw Patrol soap after toddler left fighting for life
- 13:59 Japanese pornstars treat fans to farting performance
- 13:59 P&G staff dig deep for hospice
- 13:59 Tory minister defends his comments about killing UK IS fighters
- 13:59 Everton sack Ronald Koeman after 16 months in charge at Goodison Park
- 13:59 Manchester United must 'stick together' after first Premier League...
- 13:59 Alert over Paw Patrol soap after toddler left fighting for life
- 13:57 Birmingham Prison bosses received 'indicators' of £6m riot BEFORE...
- 13:57 Solihull power cut: Live updates as town centre shops evacuated
- 13:56 Neighbours spoilers: Olympia Valance exit confirmed? Fears for...
- 13:56 Kim Cattrall age, net worth and early television and film appearances
- 13:55 Russia radio presenter stabbed in neck
- 13:54 Female MPs reveal harrowing accounts of sexual assault
- 13:54 Man 'stabbed five times' outside St Leonards school
- 13:54 Dylan Barker 'captured the hearts of of everyone he met', says...
- 13:53 Residents call the police after being ‘terrorised’ by a goat
- 13:52 Children with alcoholic parents face a greater risk of having...
- 13:52 Dementia diet: Whether fish or omega-3 supplements are better REVEALED
- 13:52 Five reasons a visit to Loch Lomond is good for the soul
- 13:52 Can't be bothered to floss? Seven percent of people use strands of...
- 13:52 Asthma UK gym advice: Do THESE eight things to make exercising with...
- 13:52 Theatre: Joyce McMillan reports from the Dublin International...
- 13:52 Swansea vs Manchester United TV channel, kick-off time, date, odds...
- 13:52 Woman, 21, 'sweats' BLOOD from her face and the palms of her hands...
- 13:52 VIDEO: Derbyshire mum's warning after toddler is dragged inside...
- 13:52 Journey’s End movie trailer: INCREDIBLE first look at WW1 classic –...
- 13:52 Woman, 40, whose brain is dropping out of her skull and crushing...
- 13:52 Wilko launches half price Pick n Mix sale