When to see Scunthorpe skies set alight by comet that appears every 75 years
THE only comet visible to the naked eye from planet Earth will soon be lighting the skies of Scunthorpe.
Halley's Comet is visible from Earth every 75 to 76 years and is the only known as the short-period comet that is regularly visible to the naked eye from planet Earth.
Dust from the comet will produce a meteor shower this week that could be visible across Scunthorpe, if the weather allows. The shower is called The Orionid meteor shower, which may be seen over large proportions of the sky.
Halley's Comet has not been visible from Earth since 1986 and will next appear in mid-2061. It is... read more
- 07:49 Man convicted of rape following four-month horror spree
- 07:49 Scottish football paid a pittance for TV rights as Euro league...
- 07:49 RISE AND SHINE: Start the day with our live breakfast feed
- 07:48 Louis Tomlinson forced to wait to find out if he faces charges over...
- 07:48 Fadi Fawaz was not invited to George Michael’s wake – but Kenny...
- 07:48 VIDEO: ‘Passenger screamed’ as forklift truck sliced through side...
- 07:48 Angry resident rung Calderdale leader 20 times in one hour to complain
- 07:47 Aston Villa chief reveals target for next season
- 07:46 Eden Hazard: This is where I want to go
- 07:46 Cyclist in serious condition after collision with double-decker bus
- 07:46 Batley Boys earn impressive away win but miss out on cup semi-final...
- 07:46 Warning to parents after yobs leave smashed glass at children’s...
- 07:45 Delays as accident partly closes A1 near Birtley
- 07:45 Cambodian opposition figure sentenced again
- 07:44 SSE says 2017/18 dividend cover to be at lower end of guidance
- 07:44 Bookmaker William Hill names Ruth Prior as CFO
- 07:44 Tesco target Booker sees sales growth ease
- 07:44 Drug-driver caught by police with cannabis and cocaine traces in...
- 07:44 School praised for being ‘at the heart of the community’ by Ofsted
- 07:44 Motorway sliproad closed at Carlisle following crash
- 07:43 Xiao Long Bao: Foodies fume over 'exploding soup dumplings'
- 07:43 Nintendo’s latest console launch helps Game Digital
- 07:42 Swarkestone Road open, Derby news now, traffic updates for A50, A38...
- 07:42 Miami Open 2017 results: Rafael Nadal sets up Fabio Fognini...
- 07:41 RISE AND SHINE: Start the day with our live breakfast feed
- 07:41 Reese’s is now doing a peanut butter creme egg
- 07:39 Genel deepens annual loss after reserves downgrade
- 07:38 Commuters set to face 18 MONTHS of traffic chaos on M1 from today
- 07:38 Questions over Preston nuclear jobs future as Westinghouse files...
- 07:36 Chesterfield Royal Hospital's new cancer centre to open this summer