When is Islamic New Year 2016? What is Muharram and how is it celebrated by Muslims?
What is Muharram? Muharram is the name given to the first month of the Islamic lunar calendar, known as Hijri.
Muslims are set to celebrate Al-Hijra, the Islamic New Year, which is on the first day of the holy month of Muharram.
This new year will be 1438 AH. The Latin term Anno Hegirae, or AH, stands for ‘in the year of the Hijra’.
When is Islamic New Year 2016? The start of the Muharram changes every year because it depends on the cycles of the moon.
This year the first day of the Muslim new year falls on Monday October 3 for most Islamic countries and communities.
The date can vary... read more
- 13:26 Zena Skinner obituary
- 13:26 Lucifer season 3, episode 19 promo: What will happen next in Orange...
- 13:26 ‘Devastated’ Dec Donnelly pictured for first time since Ant...
- 13:25 Which roads will be closed when the Tour de Yorkshire rides through?
- 13:25 Maryland school shooting: 'Several students shot' after gunman...
- 13:25 Independent shoe shop for children to open in Leamington
- 13:24 Facebook pressured to give evidence amid accusations Mark...
- 13:22 Ant McPartlin news: Declan Donnelly’s ITV family claim star is ‘out...
- 13:22 Maryland school shooting reported, school district says
- 13:20 Egg-cellent effort by Volvo for Myton Hospices
- 13:19 Tourist dies after two parachutists collide mid-air
- 13:19 Boy’s third leg is finally removed in pioneering surgery
- 13:17 Hawaii travel guide: living the island life
- 13:17 The Money Saving Expert advice on driving down car insurance costs
- 13:17 Ospreys make earliest return to Rutland Water
- 13:16 Dads who want to care for their children are being failed by...
- 13:16 The last bendi-bus is making it's final journey in Coventry today
- 13:15 Stereos confiscated from Kettering noisy neighbour
- 13:14 PSL Peshawar Zalmi vs Quetta Gladiators LIVE stream: How to watch...
- 13:14 FIFA 18 TOTW 27 predictions: FUT Team of the Week to include...
- 13:14 Ringo Starr receives knighthood: 'I'll wear it at breakfast'
- 13:13 Number of missing sex offenders in Banburyshire revealed
- 13:12 ACTU to demand equal rights for casuals, gig economy and labour...
- 13:12 Setback for new Costa branch in Whitehaven
- 13:12 Go Nixon! Cynthia to run as New York governor
- 13:11 Police hunt for notorious double-killer Stephen Bosanko
- 13:11 Scumbag who robbed schoolgirl in Derbyshire will be booted out of...
- 13:11 VIDEO AND PICTURES: Images show how rail depot in Northamptonshire...
- 13:11 Which roads will be closed when the Tour de Yorkshire rides through?
- 13:11 Fathers miss out on equal childcare due to workplace rules