When is Diwali 2017 and why is it called the festival of lights?
Diwali, or the festival of light, is a Hindu festival celebrated all over the world by Hindus and the Indian diaspora.
The festival falls on either October or November and the date is determined by the position of the moon. This year Diwali falls on October 19.
Diwali, which literally means ‘row of lights’, falls on the 15th day of Kartika, which is the holiest month in the Hindu calendar.
It is called the festival of lights because Diwali marks the triumph of light over darkness and good over evil.
To celebrate Diwali people set off fireworks, and lights candles called divas or diyas.
The... read more
- 09:29 Injury forces Robert to hang up his boots
- 09:27 Parents urgently warned over consequences of alienating children...
- 09:27 BiFab nearly went into administration three times in a week
- 09:25 The Ashes 2017 guide: fixtures, betting odds and how to watch on TV
- 09:23 Appeal for information after assault in Rugby
- 09:23 Former Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna dies aged 49 after a long...
- 09:23 Spire shares hit as takeover talks end
- 09:22 Caring School pupils feed 240 through Doncaster foodbank
- 09:22 Teenage girl approached by stranger in Sheffield street
- 09:22 Felix joins appeal to catch cruel lego thieves
- 09:22 Carl Baker reveals Coventry City missed out on highly-rated India...
- 09:21 'Crazy' pair spotted clinging to bus
- 09:21 Harry Styles to perform at Victoria's Secret fashion show
- 09:21 Ryan Seacrest responds to allegations of inappropriate behaviour
- 09:21 Disability and sickness benefit error could cost up to £500m to fix
- 09:21 Single-use plastics could be taxed in battle against waste
- 09:21 Ofsted inspectors to ask children about why they wear hijab at school
- 09:21 Police say Gaia Pope was NOT murdered after post-mortem shows no...
- 09:21 Madeleine McCann investigation's mystery 'woman in purple' identified
- 09:21 'Time traveller' from 2028 returns to helpfully reveal what future...
- 09:20 WWE Survivor Series results: Triple H claims all the glory again
- 09:20 Police plea as 86-year-old with dementia goes missing in Milngavie
- 09:19 Staff shaken following robbery at Long Itchington store
- 09:19 East Hull teenager one of the youngest ever to sail aboard historic...
- 09:19 Pedestrian dies after accident on the A43 in Northamptonshire
- 09:19 Forget the Maldives or Thailand: The detox retreat in BELGIUM that...
- 09:18 Good Morning Britain's Piers Morgan names and shames 'miscreant'...
- 09:18 BBC weather: Carol Kirkwood stuns in figure-hugging navy dress for...
- 09:17 ‘I cheated death twice, now I help others to fight back’: Leeds...
- 09:17 Voters will 'go bananas' if UK offers £40bn to EU, former Tory...