When deals go bad: China state firm managers spooked by new liability rules
Business development managers at Chinese state-owned firms have been put on notice: mess up on M&A deals and you can be held personally liable - for life.
Under new rules unveiled by China's State Council, or cabinet, last month, managers will be held accountable if they "fail to, or incorrectly, perform their duties" with respect to deals that result in a loss of state assets.
A lack of specifics has prompted bankers and lawyers to say this is a draconian catch-all clause that is already slowing deal-making at Chinese state-owned enterprises (SOEs).
Sanctions include pay... read more
- 13:23 The latest store to open at Bullring revealed
- 13:23 German fiscal plans include provisions for possible ECB rate hikes...
- 13:23 General Election 2017 result has caused 'collapse' in consumer...
- 13:22 Campaign week for Erb’s palsy
- 13:22 Liverpool target Naby Keita admits he wants to join Manchester City
- 13:22 Scots version of Harry Potter to be published
- 13:22 SO Fest performances in Horncastle relocate to Stanhope Hall due to...
- 13:21 Hillsborough: What the six defendants are accused of
- 13:20 Rare bee-eater birds seen at Nottinghamshire sand quarry
- 13:20 Mileposts project nears completion
- 13:20 Tributes paid to 17-year-old girl 'angel' Saffron Pickering
- 13:20 Appeal to find teen last seen outside Nottinghamshire supermarket
- 13:20 Get your free Herald bottle of water at Stratford River Festival
- 13:20 PICTURE: Cute little kestrel chicks are laid at Conisbrough Castle
- 13:20 Manchester United forward Anthony Martial responds to Old Trafford...
- 13:19 Three-year sentence for spice dealer given a second chance
- 13:19 Michael Bond, creator of Paddington bear, dies at 91
- 13:19 Debris causes delays
- 13:19 Fun event assault and theft probe by police
- 13:19 Ramadan event helps victims of terror outrage
- 13:19 Korean nuclear firm to be 'long-term partner' in Cumbria
- 13:19 Popular Paul to get public send-off
- 13:19 First birthday joy for miracle twin sisters
- 13:19 Manic episode 'caused killing'
- 13:19 Death of a horse whisperer at 70
- 13:19 Next stop... price hikes
- 13:19 Five ways to protect yourself from ID fraud - and 5 things to do it...
- 13:18 Korean nuclear firm to be 'long-term partner' in Cumbria
- 13:18 Reported West Brom transfer target wants to fight for place at Man...
- 13:18 Drug addict tried to swindle his own mum by pretending to be kidnapped