Wheelchair athlete Mark Telford aims to bow out with glory at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games in 2018
Mark Telford was given a massive confidence boost by winning the wheelchair section of the Great North Run in September – and has set his sights on qualifying for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
The Carluke athlete was involved in a crash during a bike race when he was 18, which led to a spinal cord injury and life in a wheelchair.
Three years later he took up wheelchair racing and a good run of form saw him become one of the top athletes in the UK, before taking a break from the sport.
A hand injury earlier this year threatened to cut short his career, but Mark (37) fought back and took the... read more
- 06:57 Hospitals look for NHS 70th anniversary boost
- 06:57 PNE boss Alex Neil rues missed chances to get into top six
- 06:57 Guest Column: Bassetlaw needs to become a Mayflower tourist trap
- 06:57 Emergency services dealing with serious collision near Doncaster
- 06:57 College students brush up skills for painting competition
- 06:55 Guest column: How much of ‘our country’ will Brexit actually give...
- 06:55 Guest Column: Delays in Manchester will affect Gainsborough
- 06:54 Opinion: Burton Mail says murderer David Bond should serve his...
- 06:53 Alder Hey hospital staff are receiving threats and personal abuse...
- 06:49 Carphone Warehouse to move to new site in Stratford
- 06:48 Sky Sports pundit explains how close Liverpool are to challenging...
- 06:47 Being dad for a third time takes it’s toll on Prince William as he...
- 06:47 Pictured: Man fighting for life after police stood by while he was...
- 06:47 Northumberland Livestock
- 06:45 Emergency services dealing with serious collision near Doncaster
- 06:43 Kate Bush makes second tribute to Emily Brontë with art installation
- 06:43 Don't call me baby: the birth of the gender-neutral ‘theyby’
- 06:40 REVEALED: The 20 worst anti-social behaviour hotspots in Sheffield
- 06:38 Tributes to Hebburn-born science expert
- 06:38 Families urged to sign up for South Tyneside hospice fundraiser
- 06:38 Hospitals look for NHS 70th anniversary boost
- 06:38 Firms ‘looking to move’ because of South Tyneside traffic jams
- 06:38 Bid to build business units in South Tyneside
- 06:38 South Shields FC to toast another title success with party
- 06:37 Jose Mourinho to decide between Nemanja Matic and David De Gea as...
- 06:36 Leader comment: Old age is a cancer risk
- 06:36 Northampton heroes next door win neighbour thank-you awards
- 06:36 Shona Robison under fire over ‘snub’ to doctors discussing...
- 06:36 Older people ‘overlooked’ in cancer coverage
- 06:34 Our little miracle: Burton Latimer couple’s baby battle