What's behind the $6bn global trade in footballers?
Football transfers were catapulted off the sports pages into the global media spotlight this year when Paris St-Germain broke - or rather smashed - the world record fee to snatch Brazilian star Neymar from Barcelona this summer.
The French club paid an eye-watering 222m euros ($260m; £200m) for the player, more than doubling the previous record set when Paul Pogba returned to Manchester United from Juventus for £89m in August 2016.
But that very prominent deal was just the very visible peak of a huge industry, namely the international trade in football players, which is becoming more and... read more
- 07:25 Spalding nurse and runner: ‘I just had to stop and help him’
- 07:25 Liam Boyce's return to Northern Ireland squad is a 'great boost'...
- 07:24 Pothole repair
- 07:24 Thirst for justice that cannot be ignored
- 07:23 Lionel Messi vs Cristiano Ronaldo: Italy keeper Gianluigi Buffon...
- 07:23 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 07:23 Big issues top agenda at Civic Hall
- 07:23 The rebel bank, printing its own notes and buying back people's debts
- 07:22 Easter events and activities which are sure to egg-cite the whole...
- 07:22 Nominate your community hero for award
- 07:22 Guest column: Nominate your local heroes
- 07:21 One win is only the start for Hartlepool United - Matthew Bates
- 07:21 Liverpool and Arsenal on red alert after transfer target's future...
- 07:21 Arsenal transfer news: Gunners eye replacement for Petr Cech
- 07:21 Arsenal transfer news: Gunners want Manchester United star
- 07:20 New book honours the ‘forgotten’ female workers in Sunderland’s...
- 07:20 EU leaders say ‘highly likely’ Russia carried out nerve agent attack
- 07:20 Man Utd target Toby Alderweireld 'annoyed' at Tottenham over...
- 07:18 Sing the blues away - choir is ‘good for your health’
- 07:15 Friday briefing: Break this Brexit cycle, says Labour frontbencher
- 07:15 Lignite mining: Greece’s dirty secret - in pictures
- 07:14 Man shares strange sign of a deadly infection triggered by a trip...
- 07:14 Yulia Skripal ‘briefly wakes up’ as medics fear she and ex-spy...
- 07:14 Double delight for Carlisle children's nursery after flood recovery
- 07:12 Bad lifestyles are to blame for 2,500 cancer cases a week as...
- 07:12 Alexis Sanchez: Man Utd stars dislike ‘sulky’ forward - players...
- 07:12 Chelsea star Alvaro Morata SLAMMED in debut season: I was wrong -...
- 07:11 Premier League fixtures 2017/2018 - these are the fixtures...
- 07:10 India renews Mohammad Shami cricket contract after violence charge
- 07:09 Double delight for Carlisle children's nursery after flood recovery