What it’s really like having a cervical smear test
You can be told it doesn’t hurt a thousand times, but the minute one woman tells you she had a painful smear test then that’s all you can think about.
The age for smear tests in England is 25, meaning I received my letter to contact the GP for my first “look-over” in September 2017.
My first smear test was booked within the hour and I was given a three-week waiting time before my appointment.
That was enough time to stew over the intricacies of a common medical procure that isn’t spoken about or even mentioned to young girls in school.
Macabre machines of torture were imagined by my... read more
- 14:30 Police primed to deal with any underage drinkers
- 14:30 Scots writers protest against Richard Branson’s Edinburgh hotel plans
- 14:28 Murder inquiry launched after boy, 17, dies in Northampton
- 14:28 Firefighters 7,500m climb for fellow life-savers
- 14:27 Liverpool Champions League team news: Star to miss game, Klopp...
- 14:25 People aren’t impressed with this restaurant’s take on a full...
- 14:25 BREAKING NEWS: Murder inquiry launched after death of teenager in...
- 14:25 Major road in Northamptonshire near M1 closed following crash
- 14:24 Fun for all the family at Whissendine School’s fayre
- 14:24 Real Madrid Champions League final team: Zidane to name this 4-3-3...
- 14:24 Firefighters 7,500m climb for fellow life-savers
- 14:23 In Pictures: 11 ancient items the Vikings left in Scotland
- 14:22 Here's when Leeds' new The Ivy restaurant will open
- 14:22 Train gets 'lost' in Yorkshire after it goes the wrong way
- 14:21 Ozzy Osbourne: ‘My problem, really, is I don’t remember I’m 70’...
- 14:20 Firefighters 7,500m climb for fellow life-savers
- 14:20 Uganda bus crash kills at least 22, including children
- 14:19 Train gets 'lost' in Yorkshire after it goes the wrong way
- 14:18 Train gets 'lost' in Yorkshire after it goes the wrong way
- 14:18 Activist groups protest new NFL policy banning players from kneeling
- 14:11 Train gets 'lost' in Yorkshire after it goes the wrong way
- 14:10 BREAKING NEWS: Murder inquiry launched after death of teenager in...
- 14:10 VIDEO: River Avon being searched at Stratford town centre for...
- 14:08 Store set for spot on BBC TV series
- 14:05 5 ways diabetes can make you feel alone
- 14:03 French Open preview: Is it finally Simona Halep’s time or will the...
- 14:03 How Philip Roth wrote America
- 14:03 May playing 'hide and seek' in Brexit talks, Barnier says
- 14:01 Someone’s made dripping brows a thing
- 14:01 North and South Korean leaders meet again to discuss Kim Jong Un’s...