What is MRSA? Deadly 'superbug' can cause FATAL sepsis and heart infections
MRSA, short for Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. S. aureus, is a common bacteria which is resistant to widely-used antibiotics.
About 30 per cent of people carry the Staphylococcus aureus - also known as staph - bacteria on skin - or even in the nose - without realising.
However it can invade the body’s bloodstream and release poisonous toxins.
It is most commonly talked about in association with hospitals, and although rates of the infection have fallen it is still a struggle for health services to tackle.
However, the bacteria is often called a superbug - because it is is... read more
- 17:36 Conservatives 'still under-represented' in Lords says minister
- 17:35 Thugs on motorbike snatch gold necklaces from woman in Belgrave,...
- 17:34 Northern rail timetable shake up affects commuters across the county
- 17:33 'We need a £100m bailout': Campaigners send a message to...
- 17:33 Eden Hazard drops major hint he’s set to stay at Chelsea amid...
- 17:32 Coffee morning will raise funds for church in Dunstall
- 17:31 New Kenilworth mayor chosen at ceremony
- 17:31 Man wanted after failing to appear at Leamington court
- 17:30 'Game changing' Cumbrian bobby recognised for diversity achievements
- 17:29 Well Versed Irish government Minister Unveils Monument to Victims...
- 17:29 Film round-up Sense of realism rewarded at Cannes film festival
- 17:29 Theatre review Thorny issues of sex and sentience
- 17:29 Book review Iron in the soul of a great working-class novel
- 17:29 A fox has been rescued after getting her head stuck in a watering can
- 17:29 Newborn baby becomes fifth generation of girls born into her family
- 17:28 Manuel Pellegrini set to confirmed as West Ham’s new manager
- 17:27 The Golden Years: Why Yorkshire is the best place to enjoy retirement
- 17:27 How much did Meghan Markle's dress cost? Run down of the Royal...
- 17:27 The best and worst dressed celebrity Royal Wedding guests
- 17:25 Neston pair charged with weapons offences following reported fight
- 17:25 'It's been 50 years - now sort out our Doncaster village's old slag...
- 17:25 The Golden Years: Why Yorkshire is the best place to enjoy retirement
- 17:24 'It's been 50 years - now sort out our Doncaster village's old slag...
- 17:24 Barrow charity boss scoops invite to Royal Wedding
- 17:24 Preventable diseases are still killing animals
- 17:24 Fire crew called to gorse fire
- 17:24 Cumbrian Challenge raises more than £1million for ex-servicemen and...
- 17:24 Cumbria's best apprentice urges the community to nominate dedicated...
- 17:24 Police officer recognised for diversity work in Cumbria
- 17:23 Popular DNA website helps cops nail ‘killer’ suspected of murdering...