What IS infant reflux and should you be worried? Expert reveals why many babies have it and how to ease the symptoms
If you've ever been to a mother-and-baby group or looked at a baby forum, you'll usually find a parent talking about reflux.
Caused by a weakness of the valve at the top of the stomach which usually keeps food in, about half of babies under three months have it to some extent.
Kirsten Thompson, a neonatologist at the University of Western Australia, explains exactly what the condition is.
Here, in a piece for The Conversation, she reveals what treatment could help your baby to stop vomiting excessively.
WHAT IS IT?
Gastro-oesophageal reflux is a condition that affects up to half of all... read more
- 11:55 Controversial homes approved
- 11:55 Pensioners can boost their brain power 'by building up their muscle...
- 11:55 When do you start wearing a poppy? Poppy etiquette on Remembrance Day
- 11:55 Acklington WI, Meeting
- 11:54 Sunderland need to show greater resilience in survival fight says...
- 11:54 Swedish central bank holds policy, primes guns for December action
- 11:54 Software company Misys joins list of UK firms to ditch flotation plans
- 11:53 Leeds defender attracting interest from Leicester - reports
- 11:53 Fifty Shades of Grey art exhibition coming to Harrogate
- 11:53 #ThrowbackThursday: Harrogate men prepare for battle in 1982
- 11:53 Man 'took knife from waistband and stabbed teenager in the heart',...
- 11:52 Introducing the 6p-a-minute cafe where coffee and food are included
- 11:52 'Every time I've left him out, he's just trained harder' - Lincoln...
- 11:52 Trick or treaters told to play safe this Halloween
- 11:51 Hard-hitting exhibition on child abuse goes on display at...
- 11:51 Sir Alex Ferguson names Manchester City as his Premier League...
- 11:50 Software company Misys joins list of UK firms to ditch flotation plans
- 11:50 LG Electronics says third-quarter profit down 3.7 percent vs. year...
- 11:50 Qualcomm to buy NXP Semiconductors for enterprise value of $47 billion
- 11:50 Iraqi army tries to reach site of IS executions south of Mosul
- 11:49 Smelly foreign ladybirds invade UK homes
- 11:49 Hartlepool community pays tribute to eight-year-old boy knocked...
- 11:49 Overwatch Sombra update: Reddit clues point to MASSIVE November ARG...
- 11:49 Fifty Shades of Grey art exhibition coming to Harrogate
- 11:49 #ThrowbackThursday: Harrogate men prepare for battle in 1982
- 11:48 £30m plan for hundreds of 'affordable' new homes
- 11:48 Murder suspect believed to have known man killed in Aigburth...
- 11:48 Lamborghini driver slapped with £35 ticket – but he doesn’t seem to...
- 11:48 Waiter snaps thumb off priceless British Museum statue
- 11:48 Ilkeston WI ladies enjoy talk from biker Bob