What can London learn from Hamburg on devolution?
As London's mayor bids for more powers for the city ahead of the Autumn Statement, BBC News heads to Hamburg to find out what impact devolution has on a city.
Hamburg, in northern Germany, is unlike most of the country's cities. It is a "city state", which gives it not just a louder voice than counterparts such as Frankfurt and Munich, but also more autonomy over its own affairs.
One of the key tools at its disposal is tax - it gets to decide how to spend some business and property taxes - both pots of money currently denied to the mayor of London.
Ever since the Brexit vote, in... read more
- 13:37 Gazza, Coutinho and Lukaku - 10 huge names Aston Villa tried to sign
- 13:37 Meet more of Liverpool's hairiest babies
- 13:37 Coleen Rooney goes on holiday number seven - 'without Wayne'
- 13:37 Woman found dead at house in Kirkby - updates
- 13:37 Meet the medic starring in new series of hit BBC TV show Junior...
- 13:36 Game of Thrones star Kit Harington proud to claim Gunpowder drama...
- 13:36 Hare coursers sighted in South Holland
- 13:35 Watch spectacular shooting stars as Earth passes through Halley's...
- 13:35 Chelsea news: Cesar Azpilicueta reveals Blues’ morale is at rock...
- 13:35 Real Madrid news: Karim Benzema’s agent issues Arsenal transfer...
- 13:34 Sheffield property that became magnet for trouble closed down
- 13:34 Could pole dancing soon become an Olympic sport?
- 13:34 Winds of 70mph predicted as Storm Brian expected to sweep in this...
- 13:33 What happens when we die? Study says we might still know what's...
- 13:33 Flying Scotsman investigation at Nene Valley Railway
- 13:33 Employment gap closes in on East Midlands
- 13:33 Norovirus sufferers 'should avoid preparing food for two days'
- 13:33 Police hunt for vehicle used in three Notts crimes
- 13:32 Heading for the heights at Kirkby on Bain school
- 13:31 West Cumbrian hotel nominated for national award
- 13:31 Cambridge Uni issues Shakespeare trigger warnings
- 13:30 Manchester United great Paul Scholes reacted hilariously to...
- 13:30 Teespring is now selling Eat Sleep Rape Repeat and other...
- 13:30 War veterans to switch on Banbury’s Christmas lights
- 13:30 The number of schoolkids taking term-time holiday has RISEN
- 13:30 VIDEO: Banbury fun fair continues
- 13:30 Lack of EU trade agreement would be catastrophic for jobs, says...
- 13:30 You may know you're dead AFTER you die - according to science
- 13:30 Norovirus sufferers 'should avoid preparing food for two days'
- 13:30 You can now go around the solar system on Google Maps - here's how