Wells Fargo profits hit by legal costs
US bank Wells Fargo has reported a fall in quarterly profits after setting aside funds for potential costs related to its fake accounts scandal.
Third quarter profit fell 2% to $5.64bn (£4.6bn) from $5.8bn the year before.
The scandal saw bank employees open as many as two million accounts without customers' knowledge or permission in order to meet aggressive sales targets.
In September, the bank was fined $185m over the illegal accounts and this week Wells Fargo boss John Stumpf resigned.
Wells Fargo has fired about 5,300 employees in connection with the scandal.
The bank, which faces... read more
- 12:22 Stanks Island revamp set for later next year
- 12:22 Harvest at Bucknall
- 12:21 Police launch appeal to find seven men in connection with trouble...
- 12:21 Alex Iwobi's nerves are holding him back in front of goal, says...
- 12:22 FA invests in new grassroots football project
- 12:21 The huge hack that took down big bits of the internet is ‘easy to...
- 12:21 John Lewis, Oliver Bonas and Very Exclusive: Accessories we want...
- 12:21 England women draw inspiration for Spain win by meeting up with...
- 12:21 You can get flights for £2 – but you have to book today
- 12:21 Nathaniel Chalobah only made his Chelsea debut this season after...
- 12:21 Child car seats recalled over safety fears
- 12:21 Northern Powerhouse 'all but cancelled' say Labour MPs
- 12:21 More trains for Hartlepool’s Christmas shoppers
- 12:20 Doncaster prositute support plan nominated for award
- 12:20 President Obama ridiculed on Snapchat by daughter Sasha
- 12:19 Multi-agency effort to tackle underage drinking in Alnwick
- 12:19 Simulating wildfires through technology
- 12:18 Prisoner goes missing
- 12:18 Wheels come off as Boxing Day pram race gets the push
- 12:18 Lancashire MP in battle against money laundering
- 12:18 Hartlepool United's season and Craig Hignett's reign in numbers
- 12:18 Under the Radar: The Blet Project
- 12:18 Charity takes on new boss
- 12:18 Book review: Autumn, by Ali Smith
- 12:18 Two men fined for fly-tipping
- 12:17 Doncaster prositute support plan nominated for award
- 12:17 Court round-up: Grantham area defendants brought before magistrates
- 12:17 Six of the best pumpkin ideas and how to make them
- 12:16 City's Big Bang anniversary overshadowed by Brexit concerns
- 12:15 How the humble shed is helping Barnsley men to beat loneliness