WeChat hits one billion monthly users - are you one of them?
WeChat has hit one billion monthly users for the first time, the owner of the Chinese messaging app has revealed.
The vast majority of its users are based in China, where it's known as Weixin, and where the recent Lunar New Year boosted it past the milestone.
But it is still lagging behind Facebook-owned WhatsApp which has about 1.5 billion monthly users.
WeChat is the jewel in the crown of Chinese tech giant Tencent. But why is it so popular? Here are five reasons it has done so well.
It's not just about messaging Sure, it began as a messaging app. And it does at first glance look and feel... read more
- 05:46 Tottenham 'consider signing Arsenal target' as they prepare for...
- 05:44 Labour MPs attack sacking of Owen Smith over Brexit
- 05:41 Sunday service and more evening trains announced as part of major...
- 05:32 Alastair Campbell diaries: Secret war between Tony Blair and Prince...
- 05:30 Gareth Bale to Man Utd: Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane to force...
- 05:25 F1 qualifying LIVE STREAM: Updates as Lewis Hamilton eyes pole in...
- 05:25 West Ham boss David Moyes set for splurge on Porto star Moussa Marega
- 05:25 Liverpool can challenge Man City and WIN Premier League if they do...
- 05:25 French police 'hero' dies of wounds
- 05:25 Chelsea star Pedro reveals honest feelings on Eden Hazard
- 05:23 Chapter One of The Driver’s Seat, by Muriel Spark, with an...
- 05:22 Revealed: Number of beggars fined under strict city centre rules
- 05:09 March for our Lives protests planned for 800 places across the world
- 05:09 Boko Haram kept one Dapchi girl who refused to deny her Christianity
- 05:08 Spain Catalonia: Clashes after separatist leaders detained
- 05:08 Man jailed for repeatedly stabbing man as he lay defenceless on the...
- 05:06 Counting birds to plot nature’s revival on the Peak District moors
- 05:04 Main Burnley road reopened after serious accident
- 04:51 North and South Korea schedule talks at Panmunjom within days
- 04:44 Coventry City digest: Promotion challenge, Baker latest, Crystie...
- 04:43 Chatsworth House £32m restoration unveiled
- 03:56 Paul Rogers: IS feeding on harvest of hate from air war
- 03:56 Tom Richmond: Staunch May let down by ministers over Putin
- 03:56 William Wallace: As brexit looms, has it all been worth it?
- 03:48 Hyperemesis gravidarum: The mum whose morning sickness has never...
- 03:48 Behind the job: Life as a Formula 1 mechanic
- 03:37 Russian spy: Being an agent 'messed up' Skripal's life
- 03:21 Main Burnley road reopened after serious accident
- 03:16 Mesut Ozil ruled out of Germany’s friendly with Brazil and returns...
- 03:16 Astonishing footage shows NINE people flee vehicle after Leicester...