We shall overcome by bucking the man-band trend
LAST year, as part of the inaugural We Shall Overcome (WSO) festival, I put on a gig in London, part of the 200-plus nationwide in aid of anti-austerity charities and foodbanks.
It was a massive show of solidarity against an oppressive Tory government. But it was also yet another “leftie festie” ringing the bell for community spirit, yet forgetting to include half of the population.
Nearly all of the events were run by men and featured the same old “man bands.” It was no fun being the only woman at any of those shows.
So I called my WSO gig LOUD WOMEN and sought to redress the balance a... read more
- 06:06 VOTE: Help us decide on the best Christmas song of all time
- 06:06 Ban on junk food ads targeted at children
- 06:06 Supermarket recalls balti following allergy fears
- 06:06 Road rage thug gets to keep Vantage
- 06:06 A visit to Newcastle Cathedral
- 06:03 South Korea prosecutors charge two former senior Park officials -...
- 06:01 UFC 206: Holloway vs Pettis - All the action, reaction & results LIVE
- 05:47 Conflict over Russia is rocky start for Trump and intelligence...
- 05:42 South Korea says effect of impeachment vote on markets negligible -...
- 05:27 Huge blast rocks Mogadishu port area
- 05:27 Which current star from your club has made the most assists in...
- 05:26 Man with 6,000 child porn images on computer ends up in court
- 05:13 Syria conflict: Aleppo rebels 'stem army advance'
- 05:13 Taiwan says China air force conducts long-range drills
- 05:02 Thousands of runners to turn out for Santa Fun Run and Walk
- 05:02 Players appreciate Lincoln City fans' 'fantastic' support, says...
- 04:35 Dillian Whyte beats Brit boxer Dereck Chisora on Anthony Joshua v...
- 04:35 Anthony Joshua sets up Wladimir Klitschko showdown after beating...
- 04:34 LETTER: Brexit - ‘Sorry’ seems to be hardest word
- 04:16 India v England fourth Test day four LIVE: Virat Kohli moves past...
- 03:00 'Secure schools' pilot scheme for young offenders
- 03:00 Orgreave files 'to be made public' in first half of 2017
- 02:59 Serbian attitudes harden as migrants gather once again
- 02:52 At least 10 killed by collapse of church in southern Nigeria-resident
- 02:49 Bolivia's abandoned ski resort: A sign of droughts to come?
- 02:49 The Gambia's answer to Coco Chanel
- 02:42 The village that just wants to share
- 02:34 Scott Brown emboldened by Celtic's transformation under Brendan...
- 02:34 Cuts undermining fire services, says Fire Brigades Union
- 02:17 Hyundai Heavy says wins $700 million order from Iran for 10 ships