We're not out of austerity tunnel yet - Chancellor Philip Hammond
Chancellor Philip Hammond has rejected calls to announce the end of austerity in his spring statement on Tuesday.
He is expected to unveil the smallest budget deficit since 2002, thanks to better than expected public finances.
But he said the UK's national debt was still too high and there would be no easing of spending restrictions.
"There is light at the end of the tunnel," he told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show, but he added: "We are still in the tunnel at the moment."
Labour has called on Mr Hammond to end the "pain and misery" of public spending cuts in his... read more
- 09:55 'We've got a manager who knows what to:' Doncaster England fan in...
- 09:55 VIDEO: Jubilant England fans bring Doncaster to standstill as...
- 09:55 Harrogate Hospital's Emergency Department moved for temporary works
- 09:54 Mountain rescue help find lost fell runner on Clougha
- 09:53 Man dies after wall collapses at building site
- 09:53 Love Island fans beg Samira to "back off" from Alex amid Zara interest
- 09:53 Shayne Ward returns to Coronation Street to surprise Catherine...
- 09:53 VIDEO: Jubilant England fans bring Doncaster to standstill as...
- 09:51 Vehicle blaze closes M62 near Leeds
- 09:51 'Life-saving' medical cannabis looks set to finally be provided for...
- 09:50 The Jerry Springer Show turns 25: the 10 most outrageous moments
- 09:49 Carillion collapse cost Notts taxpayers a quarter of a million pounds
- 09:49 Harrogate Hospital's Emergency Department moved for temporary works
- 09:49 The Finsbury Park attack showed us the worst of Britain, but how we...
- 09:49 How will YouTube Music and YouTube Premium work and how much will...
- 09:49 Residents 'shocked' by amount of Wigan dog thefts
- 09:49 Liverpool transfer news: Nabil Fekir quizzed on failed Anfield switch
- 09:48 STV chiefs under fire after snubbing Holyrood appearance
- 09:48 Northants councils shake-up: Consultation ‘a farce’
- 09:48 Woman who revealed names of two sex offence victims on social media...
- 09:47 Oz thug rock: the sound of 'complete disregard for authority'
- 09:47 Inside Jean-Michel Basquiat’s teen years: 'He was hitting on...
- 09:47 Capital’s Sigma extends Countryside deal
- 09:47 Lord Hague joins call for cannabis reform in wake of epilepsy...
- 09:47 Vehicle blaze closes M62 near Leeds
- 09:47 Air Ambulance called to Preston garage after 'car falls on man'
- 09:47 Burnley street gripped by World Cup fever
- 09:45 Burglary at York farm shop: Police release CCTV image of suspect
- 09:45 Union back on picket line as train strike hits Wigan
- 09:45 Cash stolen after thieves break into neighbouring shops in Corby