We're facing a cash cut, warns NHS chief: Funding drop will lead to the 'most pressurised year' for the health service but Jeremy Hunt insists hospitals can do more for less
The NHS faces its first funding cut per head of population since the 1990s despite growing pressures, its chief executive warned last night.
Simon Stevens said funding would drop in 2018-19, making it the ‘most pressurised year’ in recent history.
It will be the first time the Health Service has received such a reduction since at least the turn of the century, NHS sources said.
Yet Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt insisted he would not accept rationing of care by local health boards – stressing that hospitals could do more for less.
Prime Minister Theresa May is not expected to provide any... read more
- 11:23 Burnley are challenging the Premier League big guns and are up to...
- 11:23 VIDEO: Huge METEOR SHOWER set to be visible over skies of Sheffield...
- 11:21 Latest: Collision closes A66 at Keswick
- 11:21 Star Wars film launches city's first Superscreen cinema at Cineworld
- 11:21 Michael McIntyre announces ANOTHER Birmingham show - how to get...
- 11:21 West Brom transfer news: Alan Pardew targets Liverpool striker
- 11:21 EastEnders spoilers: Keanu Taylor actor teases DEADLY end to crime...
- 11:21 What did we search for most on Google this year?
- 11:20 Grim search for missing Huddersfield soldier Robert Tolson amid...
- 11:20 Pound V euro: GBP exchange rate pushes higher as UK wage growth surges
- 11:20 Will it snow again before Christmas? Forecast for the festive season
- 11:19 Popular Slimming World ‘free foods’ now counted as ‘syns’
- 11:19 Community heroes thanked for making a difference in Rushden and Raunds
- 11:19 Notts drink-drive campaign challenges festive revellers
- 11:19 Teenager taken to hospital after van and motorbike crash
- 11:19 Angel Gomes sends message to Manchester United fans after ‘liking’...
- 11:19 St Mary’s Lighthouse to turn orange in memory of youngster
- 11:19 Spotting the differences at Leicester Market
- 11:19 What did we search for most on Google this year?
- 11:19 Keeping Jolley – despite the bleak midwinter cold
- 11:18 Lofty ambitions as ROKT's Olympic-class climbing arena nears...
- 11:18 Full facts about death of tragic Borrowash mum Claire Nagle...
- 11:18 Shocking prison footage shows 'prisoner hit on head with pool balls...
- 11:18 Mum's warning to parents with babies after daughter with suspected...
- 11:17 Meryl Streep says boardroom inequality contributed to Hollywood sex...
- 11:17 Police and paramedics team up to go to keep Christmas nights out safe
- 11:15 Middleweight rivals, Cash, O’Neil to slug it out in Eastend
- 11:15 Conor McGregor returns to training as he’s told to defend his LW title
- 11:15 Neymar: Barcelona star opens up on huge bust-up with Brazilian...
- 11:15 Smile! You're on police body worn camera