We need to talk about Jake, and Tom, and everyone - we need to save lives
WE NEED to talk about mental health. What we need to say is that we don’t talk about it enough.
I’ve no idea why. I can go into a social situation and complain of a bit of a headache and no-one bats an eyelid. But, if I were to bring up my history of anxiety problems, the response – from friends, colleagues, whoever – would be an awkward silence, at best.
This isn’t because my friends are awful – it’s because people haven’t yet evolved the skills to deal with such situations.
We understand the rare extremes of mental illness more than we do the everyday banality. The image of someone in a... read more
- 19:03 Clifton hairdresser spared immediate jail term afer admitting...
- 19:02 Former 'legal highs' Black Mamba and Spice reclassified under new law
- 19:02 Defence Secretary accused of 'secrecy' over Trident test
- 19:02 'Heroin took hold of my life - and it was easier to get crack than...
- 19:02 Racist stickers 'will be removed' after appearing in Aintree Village
- 19:02 Teenage gang hunted over assaults which left two victims seriously...
- 19:02 Police staff member charged with computer misuse
- 19:01 Paris rolls out colour-code stickers for cars to curb pollution
- 19:01 Little Mix Eirias Stadium tickets sold out
- 19:00 Freezing fog to hit Chester area tonight
- 19:00 Villagers in Stretton could be drinking in a new micro-pub with an...
- 18:59 Drumroll please! The title for Star Wars: Episode 8 has been revealed
- 18:58 Brothers jailed for trafficking workers from Poland to...
- 18:57 Model Hanne Gaby Odiele has revealed she’s intersex, but what does...
- 18:56 Tottenham's new 61,000-seater stadium has been engineered to make...
- 18:55 U.S. STOCKS TRIM LOSSES SLIGHTLY; S&P 500 DOWN 0.3 PCT, DOW DOWN...
- 18:55 Balkan push for new coal-fired plants raises environmental concerns
- 18:55 Video verdict: Wasps stumble into quarter-finals, Coventry and...
- 18:55 Ilkeston pupils hit the high notes for charity
- 18:54 Brainy beauty aims to break pageanting stereotype
- 18:54 VIDEO & 360 PHOTO: Picasso Linocuts exhibition opens in Yorkshire...
- 18:54 City Varieties date for folk-rock star Martha Wainwright
- 18:53 Take a look at the proposed flyover plans for A19 at Testo's junction
- 18:53 Brothers jailed for people trafficking and fraud
- 18:52 England coach Trevor Bayliss opens door to Stuart Broad and Steven...
- 18:51 Moseley RFC's Kevin Maggs decision throws up some difficult questions
- 18:51 Hook Norton Primary School grows to meet demands
- 18:50 'We're not TV stars' - Lincoln City won't be distracted by media...
- 18:49 Road in Northampton blocked following collision between two lorries
- 18:47 Rugby MP backs Coventry’s culture campaign