'We got it WRONG on Brexit': Bank of England admits it was too pessimistic amid signs economy has entered a 'sweet spot'
The Bank of England has admitted it was too pessimistic about the impact of the referendum vote amid signs the British economy has entered a Brexit 'sweet spot'.
The central bank cut interest rates to a low of 0.25 per cent in August and warned the UK 'is likely to see little growth' in the second half of 2016 following the Leave vote.
But in a dramatic climbdown yesterday, deputy governor Ben Broadbent said there was 'little doubt' the economy has performed 'somewhat more strongly' than predicted just two months ago.
Broadbent, a key lieutenant of governor Mark Carney, said the brighter... read more
- 12:21 Alex Iwobi's nerves are holding him back in front of goal, says...
- 12:22 FA invests in new grassroots football project
- 12:21 The huge hack that took down big bits of the internet is ‘easy to...
- 12:21 John Lewis, Oliver Bonas and Very Exclusive: Accessories we want...
- 12:21 England women draw inspiration for Spain win by meeting up with...
- 12:21 You can get flights for £2 – but you have to book today
- 12:21 Nathaniel Chalobah only made his Chelsea debut this season after...
- 12:21 Child car seats recalled over safety fears
- 12:21 Northern Powerhouse 'all but cancelled' say Labour MPs
- 12:21 More trains for Hartlepool’s Christmas shoppers
- 12:20 Doncaster prositute support plan nominated for award
- 12:20 President Obama ridiculed on Snapchat by daughter Sasha
- 12:19 Multi-agency effort to tackle underage drinking in Alnwick
- 12:19 Simulating wildfires through technology
- 12:18 Prisoner goes missing
- 12:18 Wheels come off as Boxing Day pram race gets the push
- 12:18 Lancashire MP in battle against money laundering
- 12:18 Hartlepool United's season and Craig Hignett's reign in numbers
- 12:18 Under the Radar: The Blet Project
- 12:18 Charity takes on new boss
- 12:18 Book review: Autumn, by Ali Smith
- 12:18 Two men fined for fly-tipping
- 12:17 Doncaster prositute support plan nominated for award
- 12:17 Court round-up: Grantham area defendants brought before magistrates
- 12:17 Six of the best pumpkin ideas and how to make them
- 12:16 City's Big Bang anniversary overshadowed by Brexit concerns
- 12:15 How the humble shed is helping Barnsley men to beat loneliness
- 12:15 Theatre director Howard Davies dies aged 71
- 12:15 Get dressed up this Halloween for knock down prices to Twycross Zoo
- 12:15 Former boss of Glasgow's defunct Arches appointed artistic director...