Watchdog critical of efforts to clamp down on illegal migrants
Nearly 10,000 driving licences were earmarked for cancellation last year as part of a crackdown on illegal immigration, new figures reveal.
The number was disclosed as a watchdog delivered a string of critical findings on efforts to create a "hostile environment" for illegal migrants in Britain.
A report suggested people without leave to be in the country were being missed - while others were wrongly flagged as being here unlawfully because of record-keeping failings.
Inspectors found only a small proportion of revoked licences were surrendered to driving authorities, while the... read more
- 18:03 Italy populist government pact: Candidate for prime minister named
- 18:03 Barack and Michelle Obama to make TV and films for Netflix
- 18:01 Appeal for witnesses following assault in Warwick
- 18:01 Ballinger stands down as Stratford Town Youth manager
- 18:01 Bin collection days changing across Daventry District
- 18:00 Ken Livingstone to quit Labour amid anti-Semitism row
- 18:00 Arsenal decide against appointing Mikel Arteta as Gunners search...
- 17:58 The Golden Years: Why Yorkshire is the best place to enjoy retirement
- 17:58 WHISHes come true in a decade of dedication
- 17:58 Developer cash pays for A422 resurfacing of potholed road
- 17:55 Official Royal Wedding pictures released
- 17:54 Sunderland owner reveals Chris Coleman in SHOCK running for job...
- 17:54 Real Madrid stars ‘rebel’ over Liverpool ace Mohamed Salah ahead of...
- 17:52 OPINION: Be careful what you wish for as Stoke eye up Rams boss
- 17:52 Michael Fallon's ex-aide 'groped woman while hugging her'
- 17:52 Brexit must benefit Scotland to avoid 'complacency' over independence
- 17:52 Iran told: comply with US demands or face 'strongest sanctions in...
- 17:51 England World Cup squad meet up at St George's Park to begin...
- 17:49 Gas cylinders explode in fire which gutted barn and wrecked 25...
- 17:48 House of Commons speaker admits using word 'stupid' but not as an...
- 17:48 Venezuela's opposition always cry foul. This victory was valid
- 17:46 Legacy funds low-cost homes in Warwick
- 17:46 New Kenilworth mayor chosen at ceremony
- 17:46 Man wanted after failing to appear at Leamington court
- 17:46 Sheffield council gets £1m grant to help care-leavers into...
- 17:44 Boy, 15, accused of plotting school massacre in North Yorkshire had...
- 17:43 Air ambulance attending collision near Chester
- 17:42 Who is Ryan Sessegnon? The Fulham wonderboy out to wreck Aston...
- 17:42 Boy, 15, accused of plotting school massacre in North Yorkshire had...
- 17:42 The extortionate amount Aston Villa fans are being charged for...