WATCH: Boris Johnson calls Africa ‘that COUNTRY’ in major gaffe at Tory conference
The former London mayor made the embarrassing gaffe during a speech on the first day of the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham, in which he was discussing the increase in life expectancy in the continent.
Mr Johnson said: "For all its difficulties, life expectancy in Africa has risen astonishingly as that country has entered the global economic system.
“In 2000, the average Ethiopian lived to only 47 – it is now 64 and climbing; in Zambia the increase has been from 44 years to 60 years.”
Johnson went on to credit Britain for the continent's improving conditions.
He said: “In... read more
- 15:03 Disgraced Adam Johnson claims he was given too harsh a sentence...
- 15:03 Man City skipper Vincent Kompany suffers another injury setback
- 15:03 Jose Mourinho must convince Zlatan Ibrahimovic to stay at...
- 15:02 South Lakes Safari Zoo: Report shows hundreds of animal deaths
- 15:02 UK child migrant so hungry she 'ate grain meant for pigs'
- 15:02 Were you one of the people who helped woman being attacked in street?
- 15:02 East Lancs Chief Exec named in top 50 CEOs in NHS
- 15:02 NHS cuts: Harrogate student with coeliac struggles to afford...
- 15:01 Grieving relatives of the Tunisia attack to sue tour operator
- 15:01 Pancake Day 2017: How to make perfect pancakes from scratch
- 15:00 Recipe found in medieval mystic’s writings was probably for ‘drugges’
- 15:00 Alzheimer’s research - the grim truth: 20 years of work and still...
- 15:00 Years-long dream of European exchange ended in half an hour
- 15:00 Jonny Owen says Don't Take Me Home highlights the similarities...
- 14:59 Aaron Ramsey makes huge Arsene Wenger admission: Arsenal players...
- 14:59 Ferrari boss breaks media silence in staggering admission about...
- 14:59 F1 2017 driver helmets: Every new design ahead of the upcoming season
- 14:58 Championship final table predicted by computer: Who will make the...
- 14:58 Nelson filmmaker nominated for national awards
- 14:58 What does ‘free-range’ actually mean? It’s complicated
- 14:58 #IAMGRIMSBY Vote now for your favourite fish and chip shop!
- 14:57 #softcoup: the plot to oust Corbyn (that might not really exist)
- 14:57 First full vegan cafe moving to Birmingham city centre
- 14:57 Liam Payne and pregnant Cheryl celebrate first anniversary
- 14:57 David Walliams moves on from Nightly Show to star in Teletubbies
- 14:57 Birmingham City poll: Who is your favourite loan striker ever to...
- 14:57 The holiday destinations where prices have PLUMMETED
- 14:57 North Wales boxers to square up for Welsh light-heavyweight crown
- 14:56 Call the Midwife's ‘harrowing’ FGM storyline praised by NSPCC for...
- 14:56 Piers Morgan starts on J.K. Rowling AGAIN causing Richard Arnold to...