Was La Perouse killed by islanders? Clue in an Indian newspaper sheds new light on the fate of the French explorer who vanished in the Pacific in 1788 with 225 crew
Anthropologists might be one step closer to solving one of the most enduring mysteries of Pacific history - the disappearance of Jean-Francois de Galaup de La Pérouse in 1788.
La Pérouse was instructed by King Louis XVI to undertake a major voyage of exploration in the Pacific to emulate the feats of Captain James Cook.
He departed the port of Brest in 1785 with two frigates and a complement of 225 officers, sailors and scientists but what became of them has baffled people for centuries.
Researchers believe the last survivors of La Pérouse's voyage were shipwrecked on the Great Barrier Reef... read more
- 00:28 Junior football: Two wins on the spin gives Rutherglen Glencairn...
- 00:27 Crystal Palace star man Wilfried Zaha stays sharp with extra...
- 00:27 Suffering with eczema? Your daily shower or bath might be to blame
- 00:25 EastEnders spoilers: Kat and Alfie Moon for big Walford return as...
- 00:23 Man Utd star Marcus Rashford is as good as Kylian Mbappe - Phil...
- 00:23 Antonio Conte talks David Luiz injury suffered v Arsenal: He’ll be...
- 00:22 New York bomber was not operating as a 'lone wolf’, warns...
- 00:20 How do you like your wine – with a cork or screw-cap?
- 00:20 Nine million people still make or receive calls while driving
- 00:20 Consumers told to stop buying 'fire-risk' fridges
- 00:20 Ryanair pilots reject bonus to work through cancellation crisis
- 00:16 Third generation joins Lake District holiday firm
- 00:13 Giselle: Akram Khan transforms
- 00:11 Judge puts Brum bin worker cuts on the scrapheap
- 00:09 Scintillating recall of fighting racism on Bristol busses
- 00:09 A wonderful revival of Wilder’s moving tale
- 00:09 The guardian Angel of Kobane
- 00:09 Uefa boss calls for a fair football business
- 00:10 Everton FC draw Chelsea away and Manchester United travel to...
- 00:09 Yarnold sad to see bobsleigh talent go to waste
- 00:09 Sampson given the boot from top job
- 00:09 The hellish ordeal of the ‘DWP experience’
- 00:09 Die Linke women to the fore
- 00:09 The rich look down their noses at the poor
- 00:09 Birmingham council should end this sorry charade now
- 00:09 Cuba: Havana hits back at Trump’s bluster on socialist threat
- 00:09 Hurricane batters Puerto Rico after blasting Dominica
- 00:09 Unions seek reassurances after Mitie jobs cull news
- 00:09 Glasgow: Tenants in the dark about cladding risk
- 00:09 More unions want Leonard for leader