WARNING: UK kids at risk from virus that can leave victims paralysed
A health alert has been issued warning parents over an outbreak of a polio-type virus that can easily be spread through coughs and sneezes.
Cases of enterovirus D68 (EV-D68), which has no known cure or vaccine, have more than doubled in the last year.
Linked to cases of very young children being left unable to walk, the virus can leave kids fighting to breathe or swallow.
The public are advised to take good hygiene precautions when sneezing and coughing, wash their hands and avoid close contact with people with colds and flu-like illnesses.
It is understood four young victims have been... read more
- 18:13 Leicester-inspired cocktail menu - including Frog Island Iced Tea -...
- 18:11 Lizzie tumbles her way to gold in Birmingham
- 18:11 We’re not a chick collection agency
- 18:11 Conservatives are challenged to invest in county fire service
- 18:11 Killer Doncaster driver ran over woman, 91, weeks after medics told...
- 18:10 Birmingham International Marathon: 16 week training plan for beginners
- 18:10 Birmingham International Marathon: 16 week training plan for improvers
- 18:10 Solihull tennis ace Dan Evans admits to taking cocaine
- 18:10 Now owner for Lancaster student blocks
- 18:10 Poignant book is a tribute to ‘sweet Caroline’
- 18:08 PHOTO GALLERY Kineton Music Festival hits high notes!
- 18:07 Strictly Come Dancing: Ex-pro Natalie Lowe reveals she had DOUBTS...
- 18:07 Former Geordie Shore star punched a woman in row over ex-boyfriend,...
- 18:06 Argos reveal top toy predictions for Christmas in JUNE - items...
- 18:05 Men really do gain weight after they get married so that’s nice
- 18:05 Coventry City Digest: Happy Birthday Dele and all your Sky Blues...
- 18:04 Cyclists to converge on Silloth
- 18:04 Tipper truck driver was caught on his mobile phone while driving in...
- 18:04 Fun run at Skegness school raises funds for children
- 18:04 District Council says sorry for getting it wrong at The Wong in...
- 18:03 Wimbledon 2017: How to get cheap charity resale tickets
- 18:03 Killer Doncaster driver ran over woman, 91, weeks after medics told...
- 18:03 Three arrested as Sheffield police patrols stepped up after...
- 18:02 Sign up to our Edinburgh Festival Fringe newsletter
- 18:02 Are you being served? Planemakers alter sales pitch to boost profit
- 18:02 Carney is only BoE rate-setter scheduled to speak next week
- 18:01 Daughter of Robert Hutchinson makes heartbreaking plea three years...
- 18:01 China's authorities tighten noose around online video content
- 18:00 Router hack risk not limited to Virgin Media
- 17:59 So when can you have your dog off a lead in Derby?