WARNING: UK kids at risk from virus that can leave victims paralysed
A health alert has been issued warning parents over an outbreak of a polio-type virus that can easily be spread through coughs and sneezes.
Cases of enterovirus D68 (EV-D68), which has no known cure or vaccine, have more than doubled in the last year.
Linked to cases of very young children being left unable to walk, the virus can leave kids fighting to breathe or swallow.
The public are advised to take good hygiene precautions when sneezing and coughing, wash their hands and avoid close contact with people with colds and flu-like illnesses.
It is understood four young victims have been... read more
- 10:10 Four charged over cockfighting: Police release images of three men...
- 10:09 Care home future in turmoil after sale collapse
- 10:09 Can health services work together? - 'Teamwork' bid for struggling...
- 10:09 Top class turnaround for primary school's inspection
- 10:08 Kenilworth MP praises 'dignity' of family after medical cannabis...
- 10:08 Embattled tool hire group HSS secures refinancing package as it...
- 10:07 Eyemouth lifeboat crew rescue labradoodle
- 10:07 'Exceptional' ancient ring collection to be auctioned
- 10:07 Boys 13 and 15 held over triple Liverpool stabbing
- 10:07 'Knife held to baby's throat' in Coventry robbery
- 10:07 New parents are averaging less than five hours sleep a night
- 10:05 Top class turnaround for primary school's inspection
- 10:05 Man arrested in Bury New Road, Prestwich, after gun fired at...
- 10:05 Mystery still surrounds identity of Barnsley murder victim
- 10:04 Hull man's fury as 'speeding' bus forces his van off the road
- 10:03 Upskirting ban ‘will also apply to kilts’
- 10:03 Fact check: the truth about the US economy
- 10:02 Young people 'see cannabis as safer than alcohol'
- 10:01 Burton MP Andrew Griffiths calls for changes after his pregnant...
- 10:01 Cumbria police become first UK force to use new technology for...
- 10:00 Sale of Northants County Council’s former HQ put on hold
- 09:59 Former Lancashire private school teacher jailed for making sick...
- 09:58 Chelsea next manager: Maurizio Sarri confirmed as Antonio Conte...
- 09:58 Brexit: May faces 'meaningful vote' crunch day - Politics live
- 09:58 Jorginho to Man City: Agent talks held today as Chelsea eye £47m...
- 09:57 How might Chester FC's £1million donation from Stuart Murphy be...
- 09:55 Ulverston chef to compete on BBC's Great British Menu
- 09:54 Can health services work together? - 'Teamwork' bid for struggling...
- 09:54 Cumbria police become first UK force to use new technology for...
- 09:54 Learn all about military life at annual Armed Forces event