WARNING: UK kids at risk from virus that can leave victims paralysed
A health alert has been issued warning parents over an outbreak of a polio-type virus that can easily be spread through coughs and sneezes.
Cases of enterovirus D68 (EV-D68), which has no known cure or vaccine, have more than doubled in the last year.
Linked to cases of very young children being left unable to walk, the virus can leave kids fighting to breathe or swallow.
The public are advised to take good hygiene precautions when sneezing and coughing, wash their hands and avoid close contact with people with colds and flu-like illnesses.
It is understood four young victims have been... read more
- 07:41 Help is out there for Sunderland dementia sufferers thanks to new...
- 07:40 Inga Maria Hauser murder: Two men arrested in Loughguile
- 07:40 Under-threat community hub raises nearly £30,000 in a month
- 07:40 A shot in the dark
- 07:40 Alarm at how services run increases yearly
- 07:40 Fire ravaged Ovenden Hotel to be demolished for housing development
- 07:40 Change of name
- 07:40 Ever seen a badger pole dance? We have
- 07:40 Car stolen from Sheffield after seller advertised it on Facebook
- 07:39 Blackpool nurse helps reduce A&E visits from a group of ‘frequent...
- 07:39 Delays and cancellations on Northern trains
- 07:39 ‘Shocked’ Blackpool nan finds pony in backyard
- 07:39 Liverpool news: Jordan Henderson reveals he REFUSED transfer
- 07:39 Barcelona pay tribute to Andres Iniesta as Lionel Messi talks up...
- 07:37 Drivers in the dark over MOT changes
- 07:31 UK engineering's gender imbalance is embarrassing, leading figure says
- 07:31 Can you solve it? The birthday birthday problem
- 07:30 Markets rally as US and China call trade war truce - business live
- 07:30 Police searching for missing man find body in Leicester
- 07:30 Great Northern, Southern and Thameslink trains cancelled and delayed
- 07:29 Raise a glass at town venue beer festival
- 07:27 Blackpool Council to invest more cash in £25m conference centre...
- 07:24 South Cumbria catches Royal Wedding fever as Prince Harry and...
- 07:24 Drink driver banned after being over the limit in Ambleside
- 07:24 Can you offer 'lovely and gentle' Dave a new home
- 07:24 Athletes display physical prowess in Windermere as Brathay 10in 10...
- 07:24 Child mental health referrals in Cumbria increase four fold
- 07:24 Long-awaited train service connects Millom to Barrow after 40 year...
- 07:24 Barrow councillors 'impressed' by new Stockport-based leisure...
- 07:24 Yorkshire relies on sheep sector that ‘needs’ free EU trade, says...