WARNING: UK kids at risk from virus that can leave victims paralysed
A health alert has been issued warning parents over an outbreak of a polio-type virus that can easily be spread through coughs and sneezes.
Cases of enterovirus D68 (EV-D68), which has no known cure or vaccine, have more than doubled in the last year.
Linked to cases of very young children being left unable to walk, the virus can leave kids fighting to breathe or swallow.
The public are advised to take good hygiene precautions when sneezing and coughing, wash their hands and avoid close contact with people with colds and flu-like illnesses.
It is understood four young victims have been... read more
- 15:04 Table tennis proves a hit at Rossett school
- 15:04 Sudanese government says rebel group to sign Darfur peace pact
- 15:04 Historic club under threat
- 15:03 Mansfield man sent to crown court on cocaine charges
- 15:03 Pensioner remains in 'serious' condition after being hit by car
- 15:03 Floral tributes left in memory of Mark Jack Park after Scotswood...
- 15:02 Mansfield man sent to crown court on cocaine charges
- 15:02 BREAKING: Ongoing power cut plunges Meadowhall shopping centre into...
- 15:02 Drug-driver admits running down Leeds academic while fleeing police
- 15:02 Mansfield man lashed out over “sex” comments in chip shop
- 15:00 Cristiano Ronaldo is watched by his girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez...
- 15:00 Mansfield man sent to crown court on cocaine charges
- 14:59 More than 800 homes in South Derbyshire village to be without water...
- 14:59 Amazing footage as the New Wear Bridge pylon sails into Sunderland
- 14:59 South Shields teen fights for his life after two-vehicle smash
- 14:59 Thorntons recalls festive favourites over fears they may contain...
- 14:59 Hetty’s centenary celebration
- 14:59 Fire crew called to help sick Barrow woman out of her home
- 14:59 Centres to go under shake up of services for children
- 14:58 Rangers manager Mark Warburton feels sympathy for Michael...
- 14:58 Wall Street flat as countdown to Trump's swearing-in begins
- 14:58 Missing Enderby man David Noakes - police drag lake in search for...
- 14:58 Boozer tried to break into mum’s house with garden fork in Mansfield
- 14:58 'I nearly killed myself - but help is available at mental health...
- 14:57 Case against ex-Celtic youth coach Jim McCafferty delayed
- 14:56 New council bid to get tough with travellers
- 14:56 Schoolboy wrote to Marten De Roon to say he was the best and got a...
- 14:56 Endangered baby white rhino meet her father for the first time
- 14:56 Kia Stinger price and specs revealed ahead of its UK release
- 14:56 ‘We knew we had to go in’ say flat fire heroes