WARNING: UK kids at risk from virus that can leave victims paralysed
A health alert has been issued warning parents over an outbreak of a polio-type virus that can easily be spread through coughs and sneezes.
Cases of enterovirus D68 (EV-D68), which has no known cure or vaccine, have more than doubled in the last year.
Linked to cases of very young children being left unable to walk, the virus can leave kids fighting to breathe or swallow.
The public are advised to take good hygiene precautions when sneezing and coughing, wash their hands and avoid close contact with people with colds and flu-like illnesses.
It is understood four young victims have been... read more
- 13:28 Big Brother 2017: Chanelle McCleary’s shocking game plan EXPOSED -...
- 13:28 Mattress 'mountains' springing up as firms find recycling too costly
- 13:27 You'll be VERY surprised what you can get on the back on a bicycle:...
- 13:27 Hunt continues for teenagers who attacked PCSO in Coventry city centre
- 13:27 Doncaster-on-Sea: Town would become a seaside resort if all the...
- 13:27 Life on Byker's Shields Road: From the 'undesirables' to staunch pride
- 13:27 FA, Sheffield Wednesday PLC and South Yorkshire Ambulance Service...
- 13:26 Martin Keown: Jack Wilshere will get a new Arsenal deal but it...
- 13:26 New scheme to speed up muscular appointments
- 13:26 Prime Minister praises Hillsborough families for campaign for justice
- 13:25 What is austerity?
- 13:24 YP Comment: The Hillsborough fight for justice – and how it can...
- 13:24 The pint-puller that's better than a bartender! Students create a...
- 13:23 The latest store to open at Bullring revealed
- 13:23 German fiscal plans include provisions for possible ECB rate hikes...
- 13:23 General Election 2017 result has caused 'collapse' in consumer...
- 13:22 Campaign week for Erb’s palsy
- 13:22 Liverpool target Naby Keita admits he wants to join Manchester City
- 13:22 Scots version of Harry Potter to be published
- 13:22 SO Fest performances in Horncastle relocate to Stanhope Hall due to...
- 13:21 Hillsborough: What the six defendants are accused of
- 13:20 Rare bee-eater birds seen at Nottinghamshire sand quarry
- 13:20 Mileposts project nears completion
- 13:20 Tributes paid to 17-year-old girl 'angel' Saffron Pickering
- 13:20 Appeal to find teen last seen outside Nottinghamshire supermarket
- 13:20 Get your free Herald bottle of water at Stratford River Festival
- 13:20 PICTURE: Cute little kestrel chicks are laid at Conisbrough Castle
- 13:20 Manchester United forward Anthony Martial responds to Old Trafford...
- 13:19 Three-year sentence for spice dealer given a second chance
- 13:19 Michael Bond, creator of Paddington bear, dies at 91