WARNING: Children at risk from virus that can leave victims paralysed
A health alert has been issued warning parents over an outbreak of a polio-type virus that can easily be spread through coughs and sneezes.
Cases of enterovirus D68 (EV-D68), which has no known cure or vaccine, have more than doubled in the last year.
Linked to cases of very young children being left unable to walk, the virus can leave kids fighting to breathe or swallow.
The public are advised to take good hygiene precautions when sneezing and coughing, wash their hands and avoid close contact with people with colds and flu-like illnesses.
It is understood four young victims have been... read more
- 15:14 Prezzi to shut 94 restaurants with 500 jobs to go
- 15:14 Teen who built Tube bomb while his parents holidayed in Blackpool...
- 15:12 Police release E-fit of suspect after man is robbed on Doncaster...
- 15:11 Bassetlaw woman bought drugs at Christmas then forgot about them
- 15:10 Sheridan desperate for Fleetwood to end Highbury horror run against...
- 15:10 Search is on for lost north east memorials
- 15:10 In-form Fleetwood will have Cobblers boss Hasselbaink guessing
- 15:09 Changes to be made to bus stops and parking
- 15:09 FBI hunting for tattooed fugitive with DORK inked on his neck
- 15:08 Trophy success at double for cadets
- 15:08 Firm completes sale and leaseback deal
- 15:09 First World War hero George Peachment to be remembered in £8.5...
- 15:08 Thunder gets on board with Moody
- 15:08 Search is on for lost north east memorials
- 15:09 Magpie Recipe: Hake, wild mushroom, wild garlic & sherry cream
- 15:08 Prestigious award for franchisee
- 15:08 Training new generation of technologists
- 15:08 Two pharma companies collaborate
- 15:08 Containers given a new life on shore
- 15:07 Kirkby biker led cops on chase
- 15:07 Sutton man caught with drugs in motoring arrest
- 15:07 Thieves target ATM at Banbury Co-op 'with exploding foam'
- 15:07 Burton Albion players deliver coaching sessions at Stanton School...
- 15:06 Prison sentence quashed for Sutton Bridge man caught with indecent...
- 15:06 Manhunt launched after 59 burglaries across the region including...
- 15:06 Spen cadets know the drill
- 15:06 We think this teenager may have failed her driving test
- 15:05 Space age lessons delight pupils
- 15:05 Inspector Darren McKie guilty of wife's murder
- 15:05 Premier League big six transfer spend by position: Where has all...