WARNING: Children at risk from virus that can leave victims paralysed
A health alert has been issued warning parents over an outbreak of a polio-type virus that can easily be spread through coughs and sneezes.
Cases of enterovirus D68 (EV-D68), which has no known cure or vaccine, have more than doubled in the last year.
Linked to cases of very young children being left unable to walk, the virus can leave kids fighting to breathe or swallow.
The public are advised to take good hygiene precautions when sneezing and coughing, wash their hands and avoid close contact with people with colds and flu-like illnesses.
It is understood four young victims have been... read more
- 00:27 JEREMY CROSS COLUMN: Fernandinho is Man City's unsung hero, boxing...
- 00:22 Liverpool vs Everton: Jurgen Klopp claims his side were robbed of...
- 00:21 The lost fishermen of India's Cyclone Ockhi
- 00:20 Leeds MP warns loneliness is ‘structured into society’
- 00:20 The 'A-Team' that hunts missing planes
- 00:18 Jurgen Klopp slammed by pundit Alan Shearer for his manner after...
- 00:14 10,000 rally against fascism in Italy
- 00:14 Three arrested after arson attack on Gothenburg synagogue
- 00:14 Eco activists carve ‘crack’ into floor at BP protest
- 00:14 Mobo star leads choir to raise funds for NHS
- 00:14 Protests erupt against Trump’s Jerusalem call
- 00:14 Locals in old mining areas prone to depression
- 00:13 Leeds MP warns loneliness is ‘structured into society’
- 00:11 Attenborough and the Giant Elephant review: One big learning curve
- 00:05 Newcastle facing drop from Premier League unless Mike Ashley digs...
- 00:05 Real Madrid step up pursuit of Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris and...
- 00:05 I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here crowns Georgia Toffolo the winner
- 00:03 BREAKING: Bitcoin ‘CRASHES CBOE stock exchange’ less than ten...
- 00:00 Bitcoin futures trading begins on Cboe exchange in Chicago
- 23:59 Former England striker Alan Shearer believes Romelu Lukaku isn't...
- 23:59 NFL game between Buffalo Bills and Indianapolis Colts played in a...
- 23:55 Venezuela opposition banned from running in 2018 election
- 23:52 Lord Kerslake resigns as King's College Hospital Trust chair
- 23:43 Arsenal hopeful of signing PSG loanee Goncalo Guedes
- 23:38 A180 closed after car crashes into central reservation and rolls...
- 23:36 I'm A Celebrity 2017: Ant and Dec fear for Jamie Lomas' safety amid...
- 23:35 On the road: Luton Town manager Nathan Jones is building a football...
- 23:26 Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling is now a complete player......
- 23:25 Horse Racing Tips December 11: Fontwell and Southwell
- 23:23 Manchester City may be 11 points clear but several injuries could...