Warning as UK kids at risk from virus which can leave victims paralysed
A health alert has been issued warning parents over an outbreak of a polio-type virus that can easily be spread through coughs and sneezes.
Cases of enterovirus D68 (EV-D68), which has no known cure or vaccine, have more than doubled in the last year.
Linked to cases of very young children being left unable to walk, the virus can leave kids fighting to breathe or swallow.
The public are advised to take good hygiene precautions when sneezing and coughing, wash their hands and avoid close contact with people with colds and flu-like illnesses.
It is understood four young victims have... read more
- 13:28 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte hails Diego Costa: He shows huge passion
- 13:26 Rainford schools honoured at education awards
- 13:26 Sex abuser vows to continue fight for justice after CPS decide not...
- 13:25 Developers rethink controversial access route for planned 100-home...
- 13:25 READER LETTER: Parking - New roads come at cost
- 13:24 Big in the USA: Which Premier League clubs attract the most viewers...
- 13:24 Jurgen Klopp has no idea when ‘not happy’ Daniel Sturridge will be...
- 13:24 Antonio Conte has Chelsea playing sensational football and this is why
- 13:24 Anthony Joshua: I will 100% fight David Haye after Eric Molina
- 13:24 U.S. defence chief reassures Afghans amid questions over Trump's...
- 13:24 U.S. Democrats plot uphill fight against some Trump nominations
- 13:23 Ban on junk food ads targeted at children
- 13:23 How Ayeeshia Smith's godmother received death threats after mum of...
- 13:23 WATCH: Song for Christmas - Shelf Junior and Infant School
- 13:22 Funding to boost number of underprivileged students in higher...
- 13:21 Edlington boy torturers granted anonymity
- 13:21 Corrie Mckeague: Mother 'lost faith' in police over missing son
- 13:19 Jurgen Klopp rejects criticism of Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius...
- 13:18 What’s on in Derbyshire this weekend?
- 13:18 Buxton Railway Station mural shows all the seasons
- 13:18 Ban on junk food ads targeted at children
- 13:18 You can donate to the elderly by using Uber tomorrow
- 13:18 Anti-social man banned from Kettering town centre shops for...
- 13:18 Scots pupils are ‘first line of defence’ against cybercrime
- 13:16 Nine things NOT to do at your work Christmas party
- 13:16 Good news for M1 and M62 commuters in West Yorkshire
- 13:15 Slaven Bilic praises Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge: Kop star is...
- 13:15 Liverpool legend warns Jurgen Klopp: It would be wrong to sell this...
- 13:15 Aldi supermarket in Meridian Way badly damaged during attempted...
- 13:14 Santa dream comes true for day trip youngsters